BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Why can't I undock a tab in AC24 Windows 10?

BradJAllen19
Booster
Good day,

I am wondering why it is not possible to undock a tab on the windows version of Archicad.

From what I've read there is a limitation in windows that windows can't leave the boundary of the main window? However the tool pallets can for some reason (I always have my organizer and a few other pallets on a second screen). Also software like Chrome allows you to put different tabs wherever you want. A big one is though that I have read that Revit which though a little different then Archicad serves the same function does allow you to move different tabs with different views out of the main Revit window onto a different monitor without having to stretch the main window onto the other screen. So this idea that Windows doesn't allow this doesn't seem to be correct with the current version of windows.

Also even if I can't drag the tab outside the boundaries of the main Archicad window I feel it should still be possible to have 2 or 3 tabs visible at the same time (i.e: 3d window and floor plan). I could have the 3d window small up in the corner as a reference that updates when I click on it as opposed to having to use the snip tool to capture the 3d and needing to create a new one each time I change something. Even if I had to extend my Archicad window to a second screen to be able to use both views properly it would be better than having to switch between tabs constantly.

I know the Mac version allows this and you can even put it on a different screen so I'm confused.
Brad Allen
Designer
Ironwood Manufactured Homes Inc.
Archicad 26
Windows 10
1 REPLY 1
runxel
Legend
This has been bemoaned for a long time.
It's definitely possible (technically speaking) to undock those tabs, but Graphisoft never implemented it. They have more love for the Mac UI (see the new dark interface).
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Learn and get certified!