Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Will AC9 Run on an intel Mac

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've done a couple of searches, looked at 50+ pages of results, gone through dozens of topics within the index and I can not find a difinitive answer. Remodeling in the midwest (USA) is a little slow right now. Our budget is VERY limited. We would love to upgrade to AC11 but just can't at this time. Is anyone successfully using AC9 on an intel mac. We have a 2GHz intel core 2 Duo iMac. AC9 runs quite fast (well, I think it's fast since what I've been using is an 800GHz G4), but crashes if I try to print from AC (or print to pdf) and plotmaker crashes when trying to import 3D OpenGL images. If you are having success with AC9 on this type of machine, how did you do it? New print drivers didn't help. GS does not have any help. Architalk search didn't help. Any thoughts would be welcome, or,,, am I just wasting my time? Go back to the G4 and keep on plugging away.
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
AFAIK, ArchiCAD 9 was out before Intel Macs, so I think the only way it would work is if you copy the app across from a PPC mac onto the intel (the entire Graphisoft folder).

But that was quite a while ago, and I could be wrong. Still, it's worth a try.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Kim; Thanks for the thoughts. Actually, that's what we did. Dragged everything from my old mac over to the new iMac. AC is running quite nicely. So far the only time I crash is when trying to save an openGL Camera view, and plotmaker will crash if I try to import an openGL Camera view. We may well try to limp along using the iMac for AC and using plotmaker on an older machine.

Again, thanks for your thoughts.
Thomas Holm
Booster
Didn't I answer this one just a day or two ago? You should do a search before you post your question.
Kim is absolutley right. While the program runs on the macintel (through Apple's PPC emulator "Rosetta") the installer won't. So you'll have to copy an entire folder from a working installation on a PPC mac.

it's possible to run the MacOSX PPC versions of AC7, 8.1 and 10 this way too, even if 10 has a Macintel-native version.

My AC9 prints fine but there are OpenGL issues. You might like the Internal Engine better.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply Thomas. BTW, I did extensive searching of the archives. Did not find a thread that really, really addressed the question - does ac9 work on a mac-intel. Was hoping to hear from people that through their creativity, had been able to use workarounds and such to make AC9 work.
Thomas Holm
Booster
I just have to warn you that I haven't really used AC9 in this environment. I'm just keeping it around so I can open old AC9 projects without having to convert them. So of course there might be other issues that I haven't noticed.
Anonymous
Not applicable
WARNING received, will proceed with caution, lots of saves. Honestly, I am blown away by how fast AC runs, considering it is in emulation mode! Thanks again for taking time to reply.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Unfortunately, i have to work for a client in AC9 (he only has AC9). But on my Intel-Mac, i couldn't find any problems with AC9 so far.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I use AC 9 on an Intel and it works better than most universal apps.

To install from the disk.

Go to:
Finder > Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > Installer. Select the installer and "Get Info" expand the "General" settings and select Open using Rosetta. Remember to set it back when you are done or you will get compatibility errors with non universal app installers and software updates will not work.

Insert disk and it should install fine.

How are you importing the OpenGL images? and how are you printing, Network, direct connect?
Thomas Holm
Booster
Jeffrey wrote:
Go to:
Finder > Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > Installer. Select the installer and "Get Info" expand the "General" settings and select Open using Rosetta. Remember to set it back when you are done or you will get compatibility errors with non universal app installers and software updates will not work.
Ah, Never thought of that! Of course! Thank you!