BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Windows 8.1

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anyone else using older versions of ArchiCAD having any issues?

A work mate of mine in the office who did the upgrade is having major issue with his ArchiCAD V12

I know V12 wasn't made for these kinda OS, but we all using V12 on Windows 8 and no issue, only once he made the jump it started to go down hill...

Anyone else go through the same?
5 REPLIES 5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Read these articles. They may have some info that is helpful for this situation:

http://www.archicadwiki.com/Windows8_1

http://www.archicadwiki.com/Windows8
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ya saw this yesterday.

"Not supported versions
ArchiCAD 15 and older versions may be run on Windows 8.1, though these were designed to work with older versions of the operating system. As a result of this there is no official support for operating system specific problems. Based on GRAPHISOFT's experiences ArchiCAD 15 works well on Windows 8.1."

We are in the process of trying to downgrade back to Windows 8
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Or you could always update to ArchiCAD 17 and take advantage of all the new amazing features that have been released since ArchiCAD 12?!

Cheers,
Link.
Frank Beister
Advisor
I KNOW, that AC 15- is not tested for Windows 8.1. And YES, AC 17 is amazing, BUT I have to use older versions too. So I made similar experiences like Rashid.

At least I got installed the following versions:

AC16-64 incl. hotfixes
AC15-64 incl. hotfixes
AC14-64 incl. hotfixes
AC13-64
AC11-32

I made it in the order above.

First I installed the last QT version by apple site.

For all versions: I started the installation file and unchecked the "delete temp. files". I stoped after the files are extracted and installed first and "manual" from windows explorer the javaVM. 2nd I started the AC installation process. All installations by right-click "by administrator".

With AC13 the troubles began. At the registration process the installation failed by missing an installed DLL. I do not know why.

I uninstalled the codemeter 4.1 driver by system control panel and installed manual the codemeter v4.50c-64 from GS website. Not shure this is necessary, but not bad either.

After that I started the AC13 installation process again from the temporary file set and the installation program offered a repair installation. I do not know why, but this time the registration process is not skipped after an error message. Finally AC 13 works.

Doing the last hotfix (3835-64) destroyes the complete installation and I had to do the complete AC13 installation again. Removingfolders manual included. So no hotfix so far. I do not have earlier hotfixes to test again.

So I did not got the latest version, but better than no one.

It worked the same way with AC 11, but NOT with AC12. AC12 stops right at the beginning with an error message. The AC11 and AC13 installer runs the installation process until all files are on the hd, but not so AC12.

Maybe this is helpful for anyone.

---

It may look like an alternative way to install all AC versions on windows 8 and upgrade afterwards. I did this before, but my laptop was instable after upgrading tu 8.1 (unreproduceable bluescreens). It is not sure, that this was the fault of the AC installations, but I would not give it a try again.
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm
Frank Beister
Advisor
AC11 hotfix 1289 and codemeter enabler worked too.

All GER-version, of course. 😉
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm
Learn and get certified!