Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Work environment

Miquel archy
Contributor

How to move a personal work environment from version 26 to version 27 ?

9 REPLIES 9
Eduardo Rolon

99% of the time it is better to recreate it from scratch since you wont miss the new commands.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

As far as I can see, it is not possible. But, it is a bad solution, because it is a very important work to create a personal work environment that is lost.

Eduardo Rolon

It is possible to import it just not recommended since the ones usually need to be updated like user preferences change most every version. So if you import them they will not take in consideration the new commands and updates.

EduardoRolon_0-1699102047787.png

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

David Maudlin
Virtuoso

Miquel--19:

In AC26, go to Work Environment, select your custom Profile, click the Export button.

In AC27, go to Work Environment, click the Import button and import your Profile.

As Eduardo says, this will not include any new commands for AC27.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David

David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Miquel archy
Contributor

Thanks for the answers. You can import the keyboard shortcuts, but you cannot import the toolbars. I think it would be very easy to fix it, because the commands of an old version are always in the new version. The other settings are not so important. This is an issue to be solved by Graphisoft. Hopefully Graphisoft will fix it in the next update.

Eduardo Rolon

To clarify for other users.

You can export ALL of the WE settings from a previous version, including Toolbars.

And you can Import ALL of them to the current one.

BUT

• Shortcuts can be imported with minimum issues, because they will work correctly in the new version. You will need to review to optionally add new shortcuts based on the new versions added commands.
  • User Preference Schemes can be imported but since GS sticks in there new and "experimental" features it needs to be reviewed
  • Tool Schemes, Workspace Schemes, and Command Layout Schemes need to be recreated because they ignore the new versions upgraded commands and menu structure. If you import them new commands will not be shown.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

See this post for a way to import only the Toolbars. It involves tinkering a little bit with XML files :

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Wishes/Create-a-seperated-profile-for-Menus-and-toolbars/m-p/235...

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Miquel archy
Contributor

Thank you, Mr. Nagy.
But I think all this should be and can be much easier. Simply that you can import the toolbars from one version to the higher one (the old commands are also in the new version) and then complete them with new commands. This already happens with keyboard shortcuts. Work environment configurations, i.e. combinations of toolbars, shortcuts,..., do not have to be a problem and can be done again.

Eduardo Rolon

IIRC, the issue you have to be careful of is that when importing Toolbars is that AC will import the previous version's Menu structure and traditionally that has caused problems since after import then you need to recreate the current versions menus. This is a long time wish and why we keep recommending that it is better to recreate some of the W/E settings instead of importing from a previous ones. The possible time savings are not there until GS simplifies the W/E.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator