Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

anyone else experiencing these issues with mac studio?

heathldesign
Expert

I have a new mac studio M1 Max, 32Gb 1Tb ssd.

i'm not impressed with the speed of this thing so far so i'm wondering if i'm just expecting too much.

1. when i save a file while working, (in this case a very small house with no complex profiles. i don't know how to find out the polygon count, but it shouldn't mater. it's a single storey house with a simple mesh.) i get the spinning beach ball for 2-3 sec.

2. when i try to pan or orbit in a 3D window when 3D view is set to any vectoral view option but particularly bad with technical drawing - vectoral,  there is a hesitation then the view changes to wireframe. once the pan is finished it will take several seconds before the 3D view switches back from wireframe. if i orbit, the view usually doesn't switch back until i hit esc.  just now i tried with 4 walls, slab and simple mesh and i have to wait 1 sec after pan and it doesn't switch back from orbit.

3. when i pan in plan view, inertia doesn't really work. 2-3 times there is no inertia, the pan simply stops when my fingers come off the track pad. (or magic mouse) but about every third time inertia does work, sort of. it will move a little, stop then after a pause of less than a second, it snaps over then drifts to a stop. however, panning in 3D is no issue at all, inertia works perfectly.

4. opening layout book PDFs with preview, i watch as the drawings populate each page. particularly elevations. it may take 2-3 seconds for each page to draw.

this thing is marginally better than my late 2015 imac 27"

MAC Studio 2022 M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 10 cores, AC26 5003 Apple Silicon USA
11 REPLIES 11

Why do you want to keep all the logs and time tracker data? I clear those files out regularly as they can become quite large and eat up hard drive space. They should only be needed for troubleshooting really. 

I love a good purge and clean up with a fresh OS. Always seems to significantly improve system speed and free up a lot of disk space. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.2.0
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)
Gabriel49
Participant

I have almost the same Mac Studio but I have M1 Ultra with 128GB of memory and I do not have this problem even with large files.

Gabe