BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

archiCAD v11 woes

Anonymous
Not applicable
howdy

we are still running archiCAD v11 on PPC and Intel mac machines running 10.6 and 10.5

the issues we are having include:

- USB key failing to be recognised at various times... we can usually load archiCAD ok.. but periodically a dialog box will pop up and inform a user that the key cannot be found)... we have swapped out the key... changed USB ports.. but the issue continues

- DWG export issues (usually crashes archiCAD whilst trying to view export options OR when trying to define a new save location)

- archiCAD crashes whilst trying to launch the attribute manager for a particular file (happens on newer apple intel machine running 10.6... older apple intel machine running 10.5 doesn't have this issue with the same file)

- shift, control, option and command keys don’t work periodically... a reboot of the machine seems to solve the issue... again.. this happens periodically on a couple of machines

- archiCAD crashing whist trying to save as a pdf from the layout book

any help greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

yukioMishma
13 REPLIES 13
First You have to isolate - when and where the USB problem hapens, does it hapen on the only one machine or all machines? on the same OS version or on all You use.
I would count on some problem with USB subsystem or even drivers on particular machine, it may be a hardware issue, deeper or not, it may well be a contact problem.

As for other issues - I would suggest download a 30 day trial of newest AC version and test if they persist in new version.
AFAIR there were some problems with DWGs back in 11 or 10, but it was so long ago and I the oldest version I use from time to time is 12(only for older projects).
Be aware that so old version will probabbly not be fixed if those are software bugs by any chance.

Best Regards,
Piotr
JaredBanks
Mentor
Have you tried reinstalling ArchiCAD 11? Also what are the specs of your machines? I imagine the PPCs might be a bit under powered for ArchiCAD 11. Are these issues you've been dealing with for 4 years or are they recent?

We still regularly use ArchiCAD 11 and I've found it to be a very stable release.

Oh and you'll only be able to run ArchiCAD 15 on the intel macs, not the PowerPCs.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Eduardo Rolon
Jared,

AC11 will run on Intel Macs.
The firs AC release to be compatible with Intel was AC10

see:
http://archicadwiki.com/ArchiCAD%20versions
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

JaredBanks
Mentor
ejrolon,

I know, I've been running v11 on an intel mac since the day it was released. I revised my previous post to clarify what I meant (see last sentence).
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Eduardo Rolon
from
JaredBanks wrote:
…Oh and you'll only be able to run ArchiCAD 15 on the intel macs…
to
JaredBanks wrote:
…Oh and you'll only be able to run ArchiCAD 15 on the intel macs, not the PowerPCs.
yep, the AC15 sentence was confusing.

Also even if he buys AC15 he can install AC14 which will run on PPC. AC15 is the first one that is not PPC compatible.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks for the replies

the issues have been intermittent and have started somewhat recently (mind you.. the export to dwg/ pdf has been an issue with the newer intel machines since archiCAD 11 was Ist installed on them)

if i was to reinstall... are there specific files (preferences, plist files etc) that i need to remove as well... or does the installer deal with all of that

thanks

yukioMishima
Eduardo Rolon
I think that when you uninstall AC erases everything so I would export or backup as much stuff out as I can.

1. The info under ~/Library/Application Support/Graphisoft and just to be save I would check if there is stuff in Mac OS X main library.

2. I would also export my WE's before reinstalling and the translators.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
ok

i have uninstalled archiCAD.. removed all files/folders from the library folder and reinstalled

i will see if that has helped and report back

thanks again for all help provided

yukioMishima
Anonymous
Not applicable
hmm

uninstalled and reinstalled archiCAD and wibu drivers

still having issues including:
- crashing whilst trying to access dwg export setup options
- shift, control, option and command keys don’t work periodically... a reboot of the machine seems to solve the issue
- crashing whilst opening certain files

any help/ insights greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

yukioMishima
Learn and get certified!