Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

archicad file converter problems in windows 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was in process of migrating old archicad projects. My OS is Windows 7pro 64bit. All was working well and I could use the Archicad 7,9 & 10 converters successfully. As all was working I refrained from the free Windows 10 upgrade. Since a windows "critical Update" on 16.08.06 I can no longer save a converted file from the 7, 9, & 10 converters. When saving the program crashes/hangs. Windows decided with this critical update to eliminate 4 years of prior system restore points so I can only go back to the 6th which I did but to no effect. Am I screwed? Any ideas? Is this something Archicad will correct with an update? Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This is one of the reasons I bought a new SSD, created two partitions, kept Windows 7 on one and installed Windows 10 on the other.

To your question, I guess GRAPHISOFT would have to create new versions of these File Converter versions that are compatible with Windows 10.
I will forward this topic to them so they are aware of this situation.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Laszlo, thanks for responding. I on a slow meandering march to end up on a Mac. I have not upgraded my workstation to Windows 10 and don't plan to. Maybe the question I am asking is can anyone running windows 7 with latest security updates save files out from any or all of the 3 Archicad file converters? I may simply be an anomaly. thanks
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I checked the ARCHICAD 10 INT File Converter on my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit system. It opened a 6.5 version PLN with no problem, then saved it both as v10 PLN and PLA.
Then I could open the v10 PLA in ARCHICAD 20 without any problem.
So it works for me.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Laszlo thanks so much for checking this out. Off to find a Plan B. Cheers
Barry Kelly
Cary,
Does this offer any solutions?
Although it sounds like you can open the convertors but just can't save?
Will ARCHICAD File Converter run on Windows 7 and newer?

Yes. You can run it in "native" Windows 7 mode, we do not actually recommend running it in emulated "XP mode". The same applies for Windows 8 and 8.1. You might get an error message concerning missing MSVCsomething.DLL files. If you encounter this please download the missing DLLs from here.
ARCHICAD File Converter versions 9 and 10 run on Windows 10 only if QuickTime is installed otherwise the BugReporter aborts the starting process. ARCHICAD 17 is the last version that contains QuickTime.
This is from the file convertor download web page ... http://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/fileconverter.html

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Barry, I saw that. Yes I can open files in all 3 of the converters. When I save from all 3 converters the converters crash/hang. I added the DLLs to no effect. I am in the process of securing another windows 7 computer and or will use Archicad's virtual server.

Cheers
Marton Kiss
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Hey Talkers,

apologies for the late feedback on this thread, we did some extended testing to see how our fileconverter packages run on the latest editions of Windows 10.

The good news is that all the packages - 7, 9, 10 work fine on Windows 10, even with the latest Anniversary Update installed.

There is one requirement though, Quick Time needs to be installed on the computer. These fileconverters are based on older ARCHICAD versions, which rely on some Quick Time functions.
If someone happen to have older ACs installed, Quick Time might be already present on the computer, but for those who have only have recent version, QT needs to be installed manually.

As Quick Time is no longer actively supported by Apple on Windows, our recommendation is to:
- download Quick Time
- disconnect all network connections
- install Quick Time
- convert the necessary files
- uninstall Quick Time
- reconnect the network connection

Marton
Marton Kiss
VP, Product Success
GRAPHISOFT