Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

autosave

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just started working in 16. Job file not big yet.....So Autosave is slow and a pain and I have changed that setting to every 20 minutes. However archiCAD performs something approximately every minute....the operation takes about 7-8 seconds. It does not show up at the bottom as a save....but the windows little save update ring pops up and I can't do anything while this is going on. I can watch it suck on the CPU in task manager. It happens whether I am working or not. Whatever it is I hate it and I want to turn it off. What is it? More importantly how can I stop it.

Thanks in advance Cary
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
OMG the censor. so let me find another word....It USES 13% of my CPU
Barry Kelly
It doesn't sound like autosave.
In 16 this can be set to save every step (ultra safe) and it is extremely quick.
If you look closely at the status bar you will see a bulldozer symbol and the word"Autosaving..."

The cursor changing to a circle means that the machine is busy thinking about something but I don't thik it is the sutosave.
Also the autosave delays itself if you are still busy working.

Does this happen in all jobs?
Do you have a trace reference turned on?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
It is happening in all jobs. Trace reference is usually on. The autosave happens as it should every twenty minutes and the little verbiage stuff pops up at the lower right hand corner when it is active. The mystery every minute activity happens whether I am doing anything or not, displays nothing in the lower right hand corner, and I can watch archicad ramp up its CPU use on the windows task manager.
Barry Kelly
Definitely doesn't sound like autosave.
Silly question but does it only happen when Archicad is running?

The only other thing I can think of that might be active is the "Customer Experience" in the HELP menu.
Is this on or off?
I have no idea how often that sends info back to Graphisoft if it is on.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Only happens with archicad.
I turned off the customer experience option...no effect
I turned off trace....no effect

Every 60 seconds the event randomly causes the project navigator to disapear for a moment. The organizer window, navigator preview window, library manager window also blink and shutter. It is not unlike the craziness to the display during autosave.
Dwight
Newcomer
Are you making a back-up copy?
How many undo steps have you elected?
Hotlinks? Ignore?
Dwight Atkinson
I wonder if there is a large drawing (especially an external one) on layout that is updating automatically? You might trying checking to see if there is some drawing that should be changed to manual updating.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Dwight....OK....here it is
Data Safety settings:
Autosave = Minimum
undo limit = 20 steps
no backup
Data integrity:
hotlink update = Ignore hotlinks
I am not doing teamworks so the release all is not checked

I did have the hot link thing active so I shut that off. I have played with undo steps from 5-30. So now w/o the hotlink stuff active Archicad.exe is no longer pegging the CPU when my file is open but I am not active. When I am active I still get the save hang after a minute or so as Archicad.exe ramps up the CPU for 5-10 seconds.

Has anyone had problems with Western Digital backup stuff running in the background? I havave started running the backup only while I am away but with the backup not running it is still active doing something.

As you might see from the length of this post that this situation is driving me insane. Cheers
Anonymous
Not applicable
Solved. It was Western Digitals Smartware continuous backup that was dogging me. I removed it and my sanity has returned. Thanks for all the help. Cheers Cary