BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

dual monitors or sinlge large? opinions please

Anonymous
Not applicable
is it more effective to run say (2) 19" or 21" monitors or 1 larger single monitor? Am using 1 21" right now with different cad software & getting ready to switch to archi. Looking at demo version, looks to be alot of info to squeeze into 1 screen between all the tool bars, 2d & 3d windows.
24 REPLIES 24
Dwight
Newcomer
Coming from 2-21" displays at 1200x1600 to a 30" display hasn't been totally great:

In the old days, ArchiCAD's plan view fit nicely on one screen and the other screen held the rest - It seemed somehow easier to organize the ArchiCAD windows....

I could put a DVD on one screen and keep working on the other, while now, that fourth season of "Angel" just released on one-week rental sits in the lower right and sometimes windows overlap it. I've become totally neurotic about pallettes - top? bottom? sides?

The long screen is nice, however, for full-screen DVD watching, and a long elevation or section all-at-once.

Truth is that no matter how big a single screen is, one always craves more. The 30" dsplay is lovely, but I paid a premium for those pixels and really only benefit from the single screen when editing large images. Just did a 2500 pixel rendering and can see all the pixels at once.

While a second 30" display would be too much to look at, I am thinking of a second, smaller display as an inexpensive "outrigger" for 3D views.

screenshot attached - 50%
screenshot.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
i just installed a second monitor...personally I prefer to work that way....I jsut think it's easier....something I picked up when I was using Triforma.....and most of our employees prefer 2 monitors.....I think it might be a personal thing.....
Dwight
Newcomer
another issue is the total pixels available, their size, and the least expensive way to get them, considering the limits of vision.

Moving from two big screens to one gigantic screen was a challenge, but once you get to 2500 pixels wide x 1600 pixels high, the issue, for your older ArchiCAD user, is seeing it all at once, in focus, without turning into one of those back windo doggies on a bumpy road.

Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
We are about to undertake a complete upgrade of all hardware and software, (Mac to PC and AC6.5 to AC9). Approx 23 units in total.

We have a demo of AC9 set up on a new PC, and are trying to make a decision to use two 19" side by side or one 21" (both ViewSonic).

My ideal set up would be to have plans on one screen and 3D window/details/sections on the other.

The only way I can see to do this is to stretch the main plan view over two screens, as I cannot move the 3D window outside of the limits set by archicad. I am thinking that maybe using the larger 21" would be the best option, or am I missing something?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Our plan at this point our plan is to use 21" for main screen & recycle 19" or 17" for companions to throw the other windows in. That way whatever is most important can be setup on the 21" & smaller can be used for verify windows & tools etc. Don't know if this helps out any since we will be newbies to archicad & only setting up 2 stations to start vs your 23. Our plan is to run this config till midsummer then evaluate if we need new/larger screen. With the fixed budget we have for this conversion, thought it best to put money into machines & use existing CRTs around office then try to impress purchasing enough to let us get large flat panels later.
Dwight
Newcomer
but don't stop thinking about the number of pixels on those screens. It is easy for you young folks to see 1200x1600 pixels on a 17 or 19" screen but impossible for a geezer. A geexer like me. How old is your work team?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
1024x768 is the setting on our current cad program using single 21" or 19" NEC/VIVTRON monitor. Our intial training runs feb 21-25th so we are getting quite excited to see this program up & running on the yet to arrive new PCs. Would have liked to run on mac but the Log Solution plugin only runs on PC. Still on the nervous side as this is by far the most amount of money this small company has ever spend on IT. (over $27,000 for 2 stations/PCs)
Dwight
Newcomer
Right. With those pixel sizes your questions about display size are irellevant. With such giant pixels, OF COURSE you need two displays.

Try that 21" display at 1200x1600 pixels or higher if your card can take it. Now you are in the game. Two of those is more than plenty.

My display is 100 pixels per inch and that is about right for my aging eyes. ArchiCAD's currently fixed size dialog boxes are large enough with this density of pixels, even the tiny boxes.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
My setting is:
2 17" TFT side by side, which gives me a 2560x1024 pixels real estate.
As the TFT price has been steadily going down (my first 17" cost me €1000), I have pondered the advantage of investing on some bigger work area. These are my conclusions:
- If your main work is ArchiCAD modeling, 2 17" 1250x1024 monitors are enough (if there is sucha thing like enough...).
- When modeling, you have the main palettes and the plan window on the left monitor, and the 3d, seccion and navigation palettes on the right monitor.
- Try this: 2 ArchiCad, side by side, where you develope simultaneously the same idea in two different directions. Headache guaranteed, but quite interesting as a metodology...
- When working on final drawings, you take two archiCad side by side (one for each monitor), so you can copy paste from a previous file to the new one.

As for very big screens, consider this:
- Your focus point is quite small. If you are looking at these letters here, you can not focus the one that are two rows up. So, if you manage to program and use proficiently zoom in and zoom out with the keyboard (or a very strange device), having a big visual area isn't that important.
- If you do a lot of work with images, then Dwight has a point. You need to see the most of each image, as close to "real" size as possible. But if your main work is architectural design, you tend to focus on the details, and looking at the whole on a different scale isn't such a handicap. You get used to it, and never miss those big paper sheets again.
- The pointing device: either rat, pen, wand, track, the bigger your working area the bigger your arm movements. It ain't the small finger movement that turn carpal on you, but the wrist suspended arm movement.

In a nutshell: architecture, two 17" side by side is "cheap" and effective.

Of course, you can always try these:
Learn and get certified!