Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

re booting ArchiCAD

Anonymous
Not applicable
If I throw the current ArchiCAD program in the trash and reload the software do I lose the existing job files created?? Dumb question??
12 REPLIES 12
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
No.

(better to ask a dumb question then have all of your job files disappear)
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the response !
TomWaltz
Participant
You might. It depends on where you saved your files!
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
All my job files are saved in a project folder on my desktop.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
marks wrote:
All my job files are saved in a project folder on my desktop.
Then you should be OK (as long as the files do not reside within the application folder, right Tom?).
__archiben
Booster
Laura wrote:
Then you should be OK (as long as the files do not reside within the application folder, right Tom?).
... or they are files saved in an older version that cannot be read by the new archicad installation . . .
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
~/archiben wrote:
... or they are files saved in an older version that cannot be read by the new archicad installation . . .
Another good point. I was clearly making assumptions...
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
marks:

Also check that you do not have any 3rd party libraries or custom library parts in the application folder (the ArchiCAD 11 Library is in there).

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks folks,

everything seemed to go smoothly w/ the exception of stairmaker and a issue when quitting ArchiCAD. I seemed to have lost all the stairs in every job I've created w/ 8.1. and when I close a project a bug report comes up saying ArchiCAD has unexpectedly quit. Any thoughts on these 2 issues?

I'll be starting a new project this A.M. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can forge ahead. I've had this CAD program for 14 years and have never had any serious issues. So I've been very happy w/ it's performance !!

I'm actually in the middle of trying to convince my new firm to adopt ArchiCAD over autocad. I've been touting how great and easy the system is to work with. So imagine my horror and embarrassment when I try to start a project and I can't even launch the program to give a demonstration. Murphys Law in exquisite action!!!