BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

3ds object will not import into Archicad 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have the structure of a building modeled in rhino 4.0 that I need in Archicad.

Exporting from Rhino to 3DS seems fine, but when importing into Archicad 16 using the 3D Studio In INT addon, the GDL scipting of the object is blank and nothing appears in 2d or 3d, even though the popup message says "object has been newly created in embedded library." the size of the gsm file is 1kb.

I thought maybe Rhino was exporting a format that archicad didn't like, so I imported the file into sketchup 8 first, which opened fine. I then exported another 3DS file from the sketchup file, and then imported this new file into archicad. This time information appeared in the GDL script but a lot of the geometry was missing.

Everything is on the same layer, no hidden lines or meshes.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem before?

sketchup model.jpg
15 REPLIES 15
Eduardo Rolon
- Possible workaround -
Instead of exporting the complete model from Rhino, export from Rhino in phases and create individual objects, to verify that AC is not chocking on a Billion+ Node model.

To line them up in AC you can convert the Objects into Morphs or you could place an object (box preferred) in Rhino that is exported with all the phases (on a corner off to the side so that AC can create a hotspot for it) and use it as a registration point.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
I attempted to create an object file from a smaller segment of the rhino file, but noticed that when I try to preview it in AC in elevation or 3d in the dialogue box an error message pops up saying:

Illegal character <
At line 2 in the 3D script of file

and then:

Unnecessary token(s) after end of command at line 2 in the 3D script of file.

However, the GDL script is still blank, thus not editable. The size of the .gsm file is still 1kb.
Eduardo Rolon
try exporting to DWG or OBJ
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why don't you try exporting IFC from rhino, translation to 3ds and then to gsm is bound to lose some geometry
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If an IFC is exported from Rhino, then why convert it to 3DS? Why not import IFC directly to ArchiCAD and convert it to a Morph (or a GDL object)?:

http://geometrygym.blogspot.hu/2012/08/gh-to-archicad-openbim-ifc.html
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
rob2218
Enthusiast
what happened to the "SKP import" from Archicad?
why is it so difficult to import sketchup objects into archicad now? GS used to have a SKP import feature......what happened and more importantly....why isn't it fixed?

If the SKP is not importable...then what are the alternatives?
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Eduardo Rolon
File-> File Special -> Merge

select SKP as file type.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

rob2218
Enthusiast
Eduardo....you know "precisely" how to get to the answer.....awesome!
thank you sir.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
rob2218
Enthusiast
OK...So i think I gave you kudos too early...there is no SKP file type...what next"?
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Learn and get certified!