BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Adding rotation of text to a custom light fixt object

rob2218
Enthusiast
how do I do that?
I've parametrically added the "text" so I can change it...but how do I add a parameter (without too much trouble) that allows the user to 'rotate' the text?

Is it merely a word in front of the parameter "LIGHTTYPE" in the objects parameters or is it more complicated?

LIGHT-SYMBOL-ROTATION.jpg
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
1 REPLY 1
Barry Kelly
As with anything in Archicad it can get as complicated as you want.

You can automate it by simply adding a ROT command before the TEXT command that rotates it the negative angle of what you have rotated the symbol by.

i.e.
ROT2 -symb_rotangle
TEXT2 0,0, LIGHTTYPE
DEL 1

The 0,0 in the TEXT2 command is your text position in relation to your symbol - i.e. it maybe something like 0, 0.75 - I don't know what you have scripted.

Or you could create a new angle parameter (rot_text) and then the user can type in an angle manually to rotate the text.
ROT2 rot_text
TEXT2 0,0, LIGHTTYPE
DEL 1

You could automate this with a stretchy hotspot that the user can just drag on screen to rotate the text.

You may also find that rotating the text will cause it to clash with your symbol - depends on the symbol rotation, text length and default text position.
Then you may want to add parameters to move the text and even add stretchy hotspots to move the text.

So you can see it can start getting more complicated.

The automatic rotation should work so long as the text is not too long and your default position is not too close to the symbol.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!