Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

BIMComponents upload problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
Trying to draw up some items for the company I am at and i can get them saved as objects; But when I tried to up load them online so anyone in the office can get to them it looks like it goes and says 100% complete.
Then I get an email saying, "You recently uploaded an object, N/A, to the BIMcomponents.com portal that failed to pass the automatic checking process because of errors in the object's content." It says see attached file and there is no file attached to the email. I have upload one thing before and it has worked but now it won't work for me. I'm using Archicad 17.
6 REPLIES 6
Karl Ottenstein
If the items you've created are for your company, and not the world at large, then BIMComponents is the wrong place to put them. They belong on a company server (or company web site).
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
They are leg towers for grain bins and farm equipment like augers and grain bins. They have me drawing them up so they can build sites faster and get it to the customer and quotes for them. I'm new to Archicad, have mainly used Autocad while i was in school, if I make a template and embed in the library can they open the template on any of our computers and access the objects? Right now when we open some of the old projects, we don't get all the objects and its hard to see with out all of them.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If you save those objects you created in the Embedded Library of the Project file and then you save it as a Template file, then new Projects based on that Template file will contain the GDL objects within its Embedded Library.
A TPL file is really like a PLN file, just with a different file extension.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Barry Kelly
You can embed them in a template file and then they will be available for all new jobs using that template but they will not be available in older/existing jobs.

You can copy & paste from your template to an existing job and they will become embedded in that job.

But probably the best way to go is to save all your objects into a folder on your company server (somewhere that everyone can access).
Then in Archicad you load this folder as a library.
Now you can add and delete objects from this library and they will update in each job automatically every time the job is re-opened or you issue a re-load library command in the library manager.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, if the template way will work. Sorry for the questions, interning and in school we use Autocad so still new to ArchiCAD
Karl Ottenstein
fristadm wrote:
Ok, if the template way will work. Sorry for the questions, interning and in school we use Autocad so still new to ArchiCAD
I would highly recommend the second option in Barry's response. Since you are still building and fine-tuning these objects... having them in the embedded library in a template will be a total PITA. Everyone will have to continuously modify their embedded library as you make updates or add objects.

By saving your objects in a folder on a server that everyone has access to...everyone in the office who uses your objects can always be up-to-date. They just load that server folder in Library Manager as a "linked library". See Barry's last paragraph.

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/archicad-18-int-reference-guide/configuration/libraries/linked-libr...

Once you feel that the library is finished and won't be changed for a long time, then embedding the parts into a template can make sense although I personally recommend using the embedded library only for objects that are one-offs for the current project, or for loading some items from a larger library that you don't want to use for any other purposes. (E.g., suppose you have a monstrously large texture library ... but you need a new Grass texture for a material/shader. You might just load the image files for that grass shader into your embedded library rather than link in the entire mega-texture-library.)

See also:
http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/tips/managing-libraries-in-archicad-13-16/
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB