Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Custom Kitchen Cabinet End Panel Creation

Anonymous
Not applicable
Any suggestions on how to make a custom end panel for a standard AC 12 kitchen cabinet? I I searched the forum for previous suggestions but found none. The procedure I have been using to create a door panel does not work (not surprisingly) Thanks for the help.
6 REPLIES 6
Erich
Contributor
I have posted a panel object in the Depository (link at bottom of the main forum page - archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/object_depository.php?)
that I have used for such purposes. Feel free to give it a try. It might work for you. I use it with a cabinet object that I wrote that has adjustable scribe strips. I am not sure how well it will work if you use standard AC cabinets.

HTH
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the tip/part. What I am actually looking for is the method to create a custom end panel. The custom panel menu is greyed out, but it shows a panel type "Cust_ajtolap1" thus, I think AC allows for the creation of a part that can be read by the kitchen cabinet part as an edge panel, but I can't figure out how to make one.
Erich
Contributor
Oh, I see what you want.

To do this models your panel in 3D using slabs, walls, etc. Select just the panel elements and view them in 3D. Via the parallel projection settings, set the view to be perpendicular to the face of the panel that is to be the top. Select everything (remember only the panel elements should be in the 3D view) and then choose Save Custom Component... This is found under File>Library and Objects in my work environment. The option you need here is Custom Object Component. Select this option and then click "Choose". The part will then save to the folder/directory you select with the name you give it. After a few seconds, you should see a dialog saying that the part is now available to object that recognize it.

If you go back to your cabinet and select a custom end panel the custom panel parameter will again appear with the name of the component you just created added to the list of available panels.

In my brief experimentation with one of the stock AC cabinets, this works fairly well, in that the panel you just created is indeed added to the cabinet. However, I found that the cabinet doors are then distorted and extra lines are added to the front/rear elevations that are not desired. Depending on your need this may be acceptable or not. Unfortunately, there is not an easy fix for this in the object.

I hope this helps you.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
27" iMac Retina 5K
Erich
Contributor
Looking at your post a second time, which part are you using that has the custom panel grayed out? Most of the AC 12 parts will give you an empty selection box if no custom components are available.

Perhaps you are using one that does not have this option and is grayed out until a custom component is available?
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
27" iMac Retina 5K
Erika Epstein
Booster
Once you create your custom end panel you need to assign it the correct subtype. Then your custom panel will be available.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Many thanks for the assistance. As usual, your tips and expertise work well!