BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Doors, Door Markers & Schedules

kevin b
Contributor
So I've read several other posts without finding exactly what I'm looking for and now am wondering what others are doing and why this is seemingly so difficult when it should be a pretty basic thing, in my opinion.

We have rooms, they are labeled with zones for both name and number. If we place a door into a room, the door marker that appears on plan should be able to extract the number from the zone. I know not all practices do this but most if not all that I've worked at in the US do so you think it would be an option. With the ability to select which zone on either side of the door the door is "linked" to and also to append multiple doors with "a" "b" etc or whatever system you need.

Also, when scheduling, the schedule should read the info from the door, which is reading info from the zone. All of this should be such that you enter the info once (in the zone) and it shows up everywhere else.

As it stands now I can't get it to do this. Depending on which marker I use I get different results, none of which are quite dead on.

We have customized a schedule which reads most of the data from the zone but if the door doesn't swing in the "right" direction, I get the wrong zone name and have to modify it manually in the schedule. I know I can do the whole to and from thing but that's not our standard, we list door number and room name.

Also the ArchiCAD Door Marker 14 has the graphic look we want but doesn't extract the info from the zone so all door numbers need to be manually entered, which is just stupid.

The NCS 14 MArker will sort of read the right zone number if you move it inside the room but the graphics are not what we want and are not parametric. Also moving the marker into the room is not always where you want it to be, the selection method should be something different.

I've tried modifying the ArchiCAD Door Marker 14, and the Door Marker_NCS 14 to get what I'm looking for (by trial and error as GDL skills admittedly limited) but I keep getting errors.

What I am looking for is a marker that reads the number of the room from the zone, with a way to select which zone it reads (similar to NCS but with a better selection method). We should be able to handle multiple doors in a single room by appending the linked number (preferably this is automated somehow). I need an oval shaped symbol but I would think it should be selectable (like the standard AC!4 one). You should be able to have the schedule report the same info so that room name and number is the same as the door, marker, and zone. (if I use the NCS Marker and move the maker to a different side of the door, my schedule in some cases list the right number but wrong name).

Sorry for the long post but this seems like such a basic thing to me that has never been handled correctly and has had too many work arounds and customizations for something that should work out of the box. It makes it hard to sell the BIM concept when it's so difficult to get this simple flow of information to work.
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Intel Core i7 -8700 @ 3.2 GHz~ 16 GB ram
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Seems like a reasonable thing to be able to do. I don't have answers but a couple of ideas. The thing that appears to make this possible is a REQUEST ("Zone_relations",..... and REQUEST ("Zone_relations_of_owner",function. See page 261 of the GDL manual. I've never used these and don't generally use zones so I'm not exactly sure how they work. I suspect the different markers have different requests making them behave differently.

Also you could experiment with the reference line of the wall. Does flipping it to the other side make the door show up differently in the schedule? Does moving the zone boundary to "capture" the reference line do anything?
Karl Ottenstein
Kevin,

I'm not sure I understand what the problem is. The schedule consistently gives the correct results for me for the From/To Room Name / Number parameters, and the NCS door identifier shows the "to" room number for me as well. I'm looking at AC 14 - you don't mention which version / library you are dealing with.

If you have overlapping zones, all bets are off. Is it possible that you have zones for each room, but also have an (overlapping) overall zone that is giving total area or something?

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
kevin b
Contributor
AC 14 and 14 Libraries. The NCS Marker functions correctly but does not work for us graphically. The ArchiCAD Door Marker 14 works graphically but not functionally. We don't use To/From in our schedules, just Room Name. I have tried to modify both the NCS marker to get the graphics (which seemed to be the easier route but again my GDL skills are minimal and mostly trial and error) and the ArchiCAD Door Marker 14 to get the functionality, all of which were unsuccessful.

The NCS Marker route seems the best way to go as it works (mostly) like I'd like it to, you can move the marker to one side or the other and get the number and name to work as desired. It would be nice if you could place the marker independently of the side you want selected as your reference but that is secondary at this point. It seems like it should be easy to take the section in the ArchiCAD Door MArker 14 that lets you choose between circle, oval etc and get those options to work in the NCS Marker but I can't seem to figure it out. Which is why I came here.
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Intel Core i7 -8700 @ 3.2 GHz~ 16 GB ram
Erika Epstein
Booster
Kevin,
Screen shots demonstrating what is not working along with settings would save everyone a lot of time 🙂

1. In the attached, the schedule reads correctly most of the time as Kevin says despite having checked the setting to read zone from where the marker is placed. I suspect this is the problem you are having?

2. The geometry option of other than the circle for the door is grayed out because circles are the NCS standard for door markers.

3. post a screen shot of what you want your marker graphic to be and also what you want your schedule to show.

In the attached screen shot I want
-both doors 04 and 05 should read LR as the zone.
- Doors 01 and 03 should both read Kitchen
- door 02 Bed

this screens hot shows results with door marker_NCS 14
sched to from room results.jpg
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Erika Epstein
Booster
This shot shows Door Marker 14
I can choose the shape of the Marker,
It has an obscure setting under Parameters for listing letting you have it not belong to the zone is opens, but this still does not give the desired result

Your pics?
sched to from room results  Door marker 14.jpg
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Need help Please.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Check out this new object:Total Marker. It has many features, one of which is the accurate display of the zone(name/number) it swings into,
The Story Number can be shown right next to your ID (or anything else). Also the storynumber can be adjusted with any number (for instance, story number 1 can be shown as 101)
Anonymous
Not applicable
I used this Door marker on A14 or A15 and had no problem controlling Marker Style and Information. Now I have spent most of a day trying to find control and to adjust. I can not get the room name of the zone to show. I have name as Classroom and door shown as CR(this is fine, but I can not reproduce this or figure out how it is done.

There is a control for name of door that you check based on where the door swings. My door Marker shows both Inside and Outside Room Names, so who can figure this out?

I have not been able to get the Zone tool to display the Square Feet and I had to enter it manually as one of the two options for Zone Name. I think these two options are one for name and the other for number of Zone. In a previous version other than A16, I had no problem getting Square Feet to display automatically under Room Name.
Learn and get certified!