Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Doors clear opening

Vincent G_
Enthusiast
Hello,

We're working on a SDA project (high disability) and we are asked to have doors set on the clear opening.

We don't have this setting on AC doors, so our workaround is setting the door with Egress dimension, and making sure that we get a 950 clear by having Egress - Door panel thickness (by default 40) > than 950 (means Egress 990).

Is there a neat trick to show the clear opening dimension in plan? We usually display the egress dim and use the door height marker to explicit what the opening width is based on.

Obviously this method won't work for clear opening as we cant select it from the menu.

I suppose I might be able to create a door property with an expression that would be something like "Door clear opening = egress dim - panel thickness" and create a autotext label that read this property. Any neater idea?

Thanks in advance!
3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly
Vincent wrote:
I suppose I might be able to create a door property with an expression that would be something like "Door clear opening = egress dim - panel thickness" and create a autotext label that read this property. Any neater idea?

If your door object does not have that clear opening value, then your only real option is to create a property for it.

Otherwise it is a case of finding a door object that does have this value or editing the GDL scripts to calculate that value as a parameter in the object.

Creating a property is probably the best idea.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Podolsky
Ace
To be honest all standard doors and windows in ArchiCAD do not have important options that usually required working on architectural projects on late stages (like construction packages). I would like to see all doors windows to be completely rewritten with redesigned UI - as I don't really see the point to carry current doors windows elements with infilling with additional parameters.

This is the list what's missing:
Clear opening,
Fire door symbols and toilet symbols,
Self closing devices,
Different hinges types,
Hinge protection,
Frameless doors or frames integrated into the wall - like metal frames that inserted in time when concrete is poured,
Handle representation on plan, especially it's becoming problematic making doors for disabled toilets

I also think that to have brick arches above the window as part of the window or door is a good idea. Brick arches are part of wall masonry (as any kind of Lintels). Same about stone or brick sills. Currently if hide windows in 3D, arches and sills are also disappearing - that looks like nonsense.

There was gossips in Internet from Schuco that Graphisoft is planning to redesign windows and door tools - I wish that would be the true.
Vincent G_
Enthusiast
Yea I'm using the AC23 native doors, does the job most of the time but I agree these features are needed past TP stage.. I've ben looking into creating the expression prop but I'm not sure it's manageable as I couldn't find what I was looking for. I'll probably end up drawing a quick detail of the door plan view with a note saying "Clear opening is egress - the value of the leaf overlapping"... Not ideal but what can we do