Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Double pitched skylight

enjoystick1
Booster

Hi community! My first post here 🙂

Does anyone have experience with double pitched roof windows/skylight? I did not manage to solve within the built-in library and it is hard to find any bim object online, as these come mainly as rfa. Is there any workaround I am missing or is it just hand modelling here?

Thanks 

Petrglaze vision 2.png

11 REPLIES 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

Your attached example is probably more easily modelled in bits. A simple hole in the roof. Either a single plan roof or a pitched beam for the finishing on the inside and maybe a curtainwall element for the skylight.

The skylight tool will not be able to span two different roof planes.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

Something you can do to model your own dbl pitched skylight like this is to import the best .3d model of it you can find and then if needed, convert it into a morph, delete what you don't want, add to it what you need, save as and object and use that.   But for that specific skylight I would just model it with Archicad elements.  

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

enjoystick1
Booster

Thanks guys,

I modelled a simple one using morph. I found velux .gsm https://www.bimobject.com/en/velux-c/product/ridgelight double pitched, but not for the slope we have. Other nice products were for revit only.

Skylight Ridge 25 works pretty well to get what you want if you need to tweak it a bit as a morph.  It could be modeled as roofs too for the sake of easy pitch editing ?   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW9ENFqbNGU  

2021-10-07_13-37-51.jpg

the trick is to use a tiny flat roof that can not be seen to place the skylight 🙂 .  Place it on a big flat roof first, then make that roof tiny.  Move the main roof to fit the skylight, then move them together back into the proper location, other wise it is a bit tricky to make it fit.  

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Wow, thanks Steve. This looks fun 🙂

DGSketcher
Legend

@enjoystick1 I am a big fan of the new beam tool. You could create 3 complex profiles e.g. Gable ends, section through glass & section through mullions. The profiles could be either full width or just one side and then mirrored. Form a segmented beam using the three profiles and edit the roof shape to suit the beam on plan.

Depending on requirements you could add other profiles for a more detailed model. 

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Unless there are so many skylights that you need them to Marker ID's, I would model those skylights as Beams, even the glass as beams. Easy to change pitch that way.  Your detail marker can reference the manufactures .dwg or .pdf.   

Yeah, that's also true! Thanks a ton 🙂

EDIT! Sorry! Already found the description below the picture 🙂

Ok, total rookie here :D...how do I position the skylight ridge along a roof ridge line? It always snaps to the roof plane only. sScreenshot 2021-10-08 at 10.06.31.png

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!