Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Elevators in hotlink module

chrrev
Newcomer
On my latest project, I am hotlinking a building into a host model with different story settings.
Everything is fine - I select "keep elevation of hotlinked module" option. EXCEPT for the elevators which seem to automatically revert to the host story settings... Am I missing something?
5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly
chrrev wrote:
On my latest project, I am hotlinking a building into a host model with different story settings.
Everything is fine - I select "keep elevation of hotlinked module" option. EXCEPT for the elevators which seem to automatically revert to the host story settings... Am I missing something?
Apart from posting in the wrong forum section - no.
I have moved this post to a more suitable part of the forum.

The library part reads the storey information from the file.
I the original model (the one you hotlink) it reads the storey information correctly.
But once you hotlink, the hotlink does not contain storey information as such - it is adjusted in the linking process to adjust the heights of elements to keep them at the original heights.
The elevator will simply now be reading the storey information from the host file - it won't recognise the original modules heights as they are no longer real storeys.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
chrrev
Newcomer
Yes I gathered that much, it was a rhetorical question....
which is a problem, since other construction elements do keep their original elevations without taking the host story settings into account ( it is in fact an option when you link a module, like I said, did you see that?)
When you have several high rise buildings on a site with different flloor to floor heights this becomes problematic...
The lifts are components of a core that is typically linked in multistorey design, to my way of thinking this problem should be fixed...
I would be curious to hear about fellow designers who have come across this anomaly...

Wrong part of the forum? Apologies.
Barry Kelly
chrrev wrote:
Yes I gathered that much, it was a rhetorical question....
which is a problem, since other construction elements do keep their original elevations without taking the host story settings into account ( it is in fact an option when you link a module, like I said, did you see that?)

Yes I saw that.
Individual elements on individual storeys will indeed maintain their original elevation.
But you are talking about one object that spans several storeys.
It has a home storey and reads the storey heights from the original (module) file - so all is good there.
But when you add that module to another file with different storey heights, the object will now read the heights from this new file as the module no longer has storeys of its own.
There can only be one set of storeys in a file.

The problem would be solved if the elevator object could switch from using automatic storey height to static storey heights when a module is place in another file - but i don't think this is possible.
I don't think it is even possible to manually add storey heights to the elevator object (I never use it).

The only other option I can think of is to use the elevator object on each storey of you module separately.
This would solve the problem when you place the module, but you will no longer have a single automatic object in your original file.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
chrrev
Newcomer
Well yes thanks Barry, I am only an architect, not a software developer. I can only point at this being a problem - and it is a problem. How and who resolves it, I do not know. Appreciate the feedback.
Jakub N
Contributor

Hello everyone,

because many of my friends and colleagues have the same issue I decided create new wish. We will be grateful for every new Like. 🙂 

Best Regards,

Jakub N.