BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Fill Tracer

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,

I want to create an object where I can snap onto a fill & project a shape up from there. (ie for cutting away a mesh via SOE)

I have situations where earthworks change regularly & to be able to manipulate a fill which then updates the object (ie a slab or prism) that cuts the mesh, would be great. is this possible?
Can someone please point me in the right direction if this exists?

Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Dwayne:

It seems easier to simply use a Slab directly for the SEO, the Slab shape can be edited in plan same as a fill. I will typically use the lowest level Slab (basement floor) as an operator on the site Mesh (Subtraction w/ Upwards Extrusion) to cut the Mesh out for the building. If this does not work for you, you should post more information about what you are trying to accomplish.

HTH,

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
HI David Thanks for the reply.

Yes you are right & that is exactly what i do for vertical displacement. however when I need to do banks or batters for retaining walls. then i require the slab edge to be angled. now i know you can do this in v13, however the angle starts from the top of the slab instead of the bottom. therefore cutting inwards.

I have made custom profile walls to cut the sloping banks, but this gets hard to manage when there are lots of steps.

All I want really is a slab that cuts from the bottom edge (so you can draw where you want it to start in plan) that then cuts upwards on a specified angle, to a nominated height.

does that make sense.

I think i may have seen architerra do something like this?
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Dwayne:

Your issue is clearer now. You could set the angle of the edge of the slab, check it in a section to measure the horizontal distance from the top node to the displaced bottom node (or use algebra to calculate this distance), then use the pet palette (offset all edges) to expand the slab that distance to get the edge of the slab where you need it.

To answer your initial question, there is not a direct way to do this using GDL, you would need an API (beyond my pay grade) to read the fill coordinates into an object. There is an indirect method where you can drag a fill into the 2D Script of an object, then use the scripted coordinates as part of the code for the object, but this does not seem efficient for your purposes.

That's all I have. You could try posting some images of your problem, someone might see a better solution.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Try using a custom profile collumn.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Learn and get certified!