Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

GDL Script associate architrave with window?

Anonymous
Not applicable
i have written my first GDL script to create a custom architrave for windows and balcony doors. Its working so far but i would like somehow to select windows or doors and apply it like an accessory instead of doing it by hand. Is that possible?
8 REPLIES 8
Barry Kelly
If you have created a separate architrave object, then you will have to CALL it from your window object.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
If you have created a separate architrave object, then you will have to CALL it from your window object.

Barry.
can you be a bit more specific? this call function will be part of my architrave script? but i can reference a selected window somehow?
Barry Kelly
The window script has to CALL the architrave object.
You will need to add the architrave parameters to the window so that you can control the settings of the architrave from the window.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Lingwisyer
Guru
That would require saving out a new copy of every macro prior to your modified one which can sometimes be a bit troublesome to track....

Would picking up the opening location from the wall and inserting the object above the opening work? I will not be a single object, but it will save some time tracing the script path.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Anonymous
Not applicable
Lingwisyer wrote:
That would require saving out a new copy of every macro prior to your modified one which can sometimes be a bit troublesome to track....

Would picking up the opening location from the wall and inserting the object above the opening work? I will not be a single object, but it will save some time tracing the script path.

Ling.
yes that is what i'm trying to do. Select the opening/window and apply my custom GDL architrave to that. Is there a way to read from my architrave the wallhole dimensions & position of selected windows
Lingwisyer
Guru
I am not sure. Heimo made a cladding object a while back that detected wall openings and cut the cladding around them, but I am not sure if you can instead use that info to cut into the wall instead. More so if you only want it for selected doors and windows... You might be able to chase Heimo for insight in how he did it. Associative objects.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Barry Kelly
Lingwisyer wrote:
I am not sure. Heimo made a cladding object a while back that detected wall openings and cut the cladding around them.
I think you will find that was made using the wall accessory add-on, which will find the entire wall geometry, including all window and door openings.
So it will not be good for individual openings.

You need to CALL it from the main window object.
There is no need to save out new copies of all the macros as they are already being CALLed from the main window object.
You just need to add you architrave to the main window.

Having said that, the Graphisoft windows are not the simplest of objects to understand.
It can be done though.
You will want to ‘Save As’ the main window object as a new object, so you don’t destroy the original.
Add your architrave parameters to the main window object.
CALL it in the 2D & 3D scripts (possibly the parameter and/or master script depending on how it it written).and pass on the architrave parameter values as well as the A & B (height & width) In the CALL command.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Lingwisyer wrote:
I am not sure. Heimo made a cladding object a while back that detected wall openings and cut the cladding around them.
I think you will find that was made using the wall accessory add-on, which will find the entire wall geometry, including all window and door openings.
So it will not be good for individual openings.

You need to CALL it from the main window object.
There is no need to save out new copies of all the macros as they are already being CALLed from the main window object.
You just need to add you architrave to the main window.

Having said that, the Graphisoft windows are not the simplest of objects to understand.
It can be done though.
You will want to ‘Save As’ the main window object as a new object, so you don’t destroy the original.
Add your architrave parameters to the main window object.
CALL it in the 2D & 3D scripts (possibly the parameter and/or master script depending on how it it written).and pass on the architrave parameter values as well as the A & B (height & width) In the CALL command.

Barry.
thanks for the advice, this is going to be tough but i'll give it a shot!