Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

How do I add parameters to downloaded BIM objects?

Bill
Contributor
I've downloaded some DXF files of toilet accessories, and I have figured out how to open them, save them when in the 3D view as a .gsm object, and then add them to the library... works nicely.

But, when I list them in my interactive toilet accessories schedule, they (understandably) don't have any parameters with them where I can list manufacturer, model number, etc. like all of the objects in default library.

Is there a way I can add these parameters? Is this process described somewhere?

Thanks!

Bill
Bill Szustak RA

Principal, Springboard Design

ArchiCAD 25, macOS Ventura 13.4.1
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bill,

you can add this parameters by yourself:
1. Insert on the Plan one object of the same type from the standard AC library
2. Select it and go to menu File/Libraries and Objects/Open Object...
3. A new window (Parameters) opens on the screen, scroll it down and you will find parameters that you need.
4. Now pick on Plan view and repeat the point 2, now with your Object selected (object from the standard AC library is still Opened!)
5. Rearrange the 2 windows on the screen to see them at the same time
6. In the window of your object insert a New Parameter (pick the button NEW) and type in their respective fields: Variable "gs_list_cost", Type "Abc", Name "Cost", Value "xx.xx$"......
7. Repeat the point 6 for all new parameters you need
8. When you have done close the window and select SAVE to add these parametere to your object
9. Now these new added parameters will be available in your Schedule (pick the button "Additional Parameters..." and find your Object, then select the parameters to add to the schedule)
Object - Adding Parameters for Listing.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Adding "Additional Parameters":
Object - Adding Parameters for Listing_2.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
These "Additional Parameters" in the Schedule:
Bill
Contributor
Andro55 -

Thanks for the quick response!

OK, so I did that and now I see the parameters listed in the object's properties box.

However, they are still uneditable for that object in the interactive schedule... how do I get these values to show up there?

Thanks!

Bill
Bill Szustak RA

Anonymous
Not applicable
Go to your Schedule, pick the button "Scheme Settings"on top right, then pick the button "Additional Parameters" (in the new opened dialog window search your Object and then select parameters to add to the Schedule). See my pictures 2 and 3!
Bill
Contributor
Again, first off, thanks for all the posts.

It's still not doing what I need exactly... I THINK I followed exactly what you said but what that did was create an ADDITIONAL column in the schedule, which did list the parameter I added to the object.

However, here's what I need. All the default library objects, for example, have the g_s_list_manufacturer parameter already in the object, and that parameter is already showing up in my schedule.

I've tried to recreate that parameter in the downloaded object, too, and found its parameter to "add" to the schedule, but I really don't want it to read as a separate additional column be tabulated in the manufacturer parameter column already in the schedule...

What am I doing wrong?

Bill
Bill Szustak RA

Bill
Contributor
I keep trying to add an attachment but when I select the file it doesn't seem to take it... dunno what I am doing wrong there either...

sigh.
Bill Szustak RA

Anonymous
Not applicable
Bill,

The Variable name is the SAME "g_s_list_manufacturer" or "gs_list_manufacturer" in your default library objects and in your new object?

Can you paste the content of the "Parameter" GDL dialog window if you OPEN one of the default library object?
Bill
Contributor
Andro55, thanks for all your help... it was a typo.

Always the human error, isn't it?!?!

It's working now, following your steps.

Bill
Bill Szustak RA