BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

How to set scale of text of 2D symbol

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,
Can You help me, please? I'm stuck on text contents of 2D symbol linked to object. I've made my 3D object, then I've made 2D symbol with text. I have linked symbol to that. Everything works fine until I want to change the scale of drawing. I've done it in scale 1:5 but when I want to change the scale to 1:20 text is bigger than symbol. Does anyone know how to do fixed text contents?
Just in case, I attached screenshot of my 2D script.
Al the best!
K.

Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 10.24.48.png
6 REPLIES 6
Bruce
Expert
Your script doesn't seem to have any text command in it, so I'm concluding that it's in the macro you've called.

In any case, to get things to change size with the scale, you use the global variable GLOB_SCALE as a multiplier.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Bruce,
Many thanks for reply. I'll check what is going on with that script, why there is no text command...
Thank You!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
Let me describe how I do it, because this is might be wrong way.
1. I make the 3D object using morphs - in this case socket.
2. I save selected item as object.
3. I draw 2D symbol using polyline and text.
4. By object manager I'm loading GSM object.
5. I go to properties by alt+cmd+o
6. Then I use fragment2 command in 2D script
7. I paste ready 2D symbol with text to the 2D symbol window
8. I save that as new object.
As I've written in previous post, when I want to change scale of drawing letter in symbol is changing size. I'm not sure where I can use GLOB_SCALE in that script...
Bruce
Expert
Sounds pretty complicated.

In your particular situation I don't know how to help. I would just script the 2D symbol...they're reasonably easy, but you do need to learn a little bit of scripting.

Maybe someone else has a better answer in this particular situation, or maybe one of these may help: https://bimcomponents.com/Search/Socket
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Art_graphic:

Using the 2D Symbol window of the Object rather than the 2D Script is very limiting, and not intended for the type of control you want. To create a 2D Script for your Object you have two options:
1. Set up the Plan Window and 2D Script next to each other, then drag the 2D elements from the plan into the 2D Script window, ArchiCAD will write the code for the 2D elements.
2. If the above does not work (it can be a bit tricky), hide all the elements in the plan view except for the 2D elements for your object and Save As... ArchiCAD Object File, again the 2D elements will be converted to code in the 2D Script.
Make sure the 3D elements and 2D elements have a common origin (best to use the Project origin) so they align correctly in your object. You are generating the 2D and 3D separately, it is up to the user to make sure the 2D and 3D correspond.

Scripting in GDL gives you more control over your objects, but takes some time to understand. Getting the scale of 2D text to work as desired is a good small project to start.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
Bruce: thank You, anyway!
David: many thanks for reply. I added signature as You'd recommended. I'll try to go in Your options then I let You know.
Thank You!
Learn and get certified!