Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Lib objects lacking 2D hotspots?

alexliz
Participant
It's probably something I'm missing but here it is anyway:

Have all archicad lib objects lost their perimeter hotspots in 2D? For example, the bathtub in ArchiCAD 13 only has one hotspot, along its long side, in the middle; also another one at the drain point. The problem is when I want to position something (e.g. a wall) starting precisely at the bathtub's corner: there is no way to snap to it.

Unless, like I said, I'm missing something. Thanks as always, people.
Alex Zachopoulos

MacBook Pro 17" 2.4GHz, MacOS X 10.5.6, ArchiCAD 11 & 12, WinXP, Vista (well, not really Vista...)
13 REPLIES 13
alexliz
Participant
Hmm... many views, zero replies...
Alex Zachopoulos

MacBook Pro 17" 2.4GHz, MacOS X 10.5.6, ArchiCAD 11 & 12, WinXP, Vista (well, not really Vista...)
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If you start a brand new ArchiCAD Project using the default Template and load the default library to it, does the problem still occur?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Some parts have a parameter to show more or fewer hotspots.
alexliz
Participant
@Laszlo, Matthew

Thanks for your replies! Actually, I had already selected one of the objects (the Double Bed 13.gsm) and then gone into File->Libraries and Objects->Open Object...

Then in the main object window (which was the [Read Only], as the library was the .lcf) I clicked on Details... at the top, and in the next window I checked the box 'Hotspots on bounding box'.

Then I went to save the object, but with it being a [Read-only] file I couldn't, so I discarded the changes. BUT...

Now, in my plan window, the same Bed Double 13.gsm was showing with all hotspots on all corners. Even more strange than this, other objects in the plan also showed all corner hotspots when selected, even though I hadn't even touched them. As if some sort of trigger had been activated when I went into that one object (the Double Bed 13) and switched the behavior for all objects.

Then after some time working with the project I closed it. I worked on something else, with different libraries.

When I went back to the same project and loaded it and its libraries, object behavior had reverted to only showing 2 hotspots. I had to once again select an object on my plan, then File->Libraries and Objects->Open Object..., go into the Details... dialog, check the box 'Hotspots on bounding box', close the object without saving and once again all objects in my plan display all hotspots.

Rather flakey behavior for ArchiCAD, I would say.
Alex Zachopoulos

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
That is indeed strange.
Would it be possible for you to create a short video with screens capture software like Camtasia and send it to your local reseller, who will forward it to GS?

I am sure they would be interested in finding out the source of this.
Showing it in video would be a great way to demonstrate the bug and show that it indeed occurs.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
alexliz wrote:
For example, the bathtub in ArchiCAD 13 only has one hotspot, along its long side, in the middle; also another one at the drain point.
Alex:

Bathtub 13 uses a macro Resize_A_B_ZZYZX to draw the hotspots (and probably uses this same macro for other objects), so it looks like this macro is missing.
alexliz wrote:
Actually, I had already selected one of the objects (the Double Bed 13.gsm) and then gone into File->Libraries and Objects->Open Object...

Then in the main object window (which was the [Read Only], as the library was the .lcf) I clicked on Details... at the top, and in the next window I checked the box 'Hotspots on bounding box'.

Then I went to save the object, but with it being a [Read-only] file I couldn't, so I discarded the changes. BUT...
This will work only if you Save the library part to extract it from the .lcf file, but the you will need to add it to your libraries (better to Save As... so the part has a different GUID so it is not confused with the original part).

But the best solution is to figure out why the macro is not loading, maybe your Object Library 13.lcf is corrupted, you might try reinstalling the libraries.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
alexliz
Participant
@David

What you mention is intriguing, esp. in view of the fact that lately, when I load up a project (and its libraries of course) some of its objects are missing in the plan. The first thing I have resorted to doing nowadays once the project is displayed after the File->Open, is to re-load the Libraries (Libary Manager...->Reload).

Once they are re-loaded, the objects do show up. Weird, too, as I don't add/remove any libraries in Library Manager. I just instruct it to reload what it had just loaded upon project opening.

I'll post back with any further feedback. Thanks!
Alex Zachopoulos

Erika Epstein
Booster
Are you in teamwork?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
alexliz
Participant
No, no TW. Just solo project.
Alex Zachopoulos