BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Objects Auto Rotate in Elevation

vfrontiers
Enthusiast
I posted this elsewhere over a year ago with no response...
++++++++++++++++++++++
I want some 3d CUTOUT PLANTS (made with lines, not a picture) to rotate automatically to the ELEVATION... Obviously this means they'll need to rotate differently for each elevation..

I have successfully scripted them to rotate to camera in 3d views (great for SKETCH RENDERINGS and 3d documents) but as noted below there is NO GLOB VARIABLE for the rotation of the section or elevation as placed in the plan..

Can anyone verify this? IS THERE A GLOBAL VARIABLE that returns the rotation angle of a given elevation in plan? So if my elevation is at the bottom of my model (on screen)... it should return a value of 270.... etc. If there is, I can script in a PLAN ROTATION of the object while in the ELEVATION differently than when in 3d window using the GLOB_VIEW_TYPE parameter.

Note: it also does NOT work when the 3d window is set to PARALLEL PROJECTION... ugh...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
1 REPLY 1
Podolsky
Ace
This is very interesting problem.
I also tried to figure it out.
Currently there is NO WAY how to get your section or elevation orientation via global variables.

Only different hacks left to try to solve this.
I had one idea about it, but I'm not sure about the result.
Sections and elevations are using GDL script for their markers. These markers, as any GDL object, have globals SYMB_POS_X, SYMB_POS_Y, and SYMB_ROTANGLE.
Any GDL object can record data into a txt file (or it can have extension .gdl instead - in that case, this file passible to call as a macro). So, it is possible to have some txt files, where will be recorded elevation ID and name and also rotation.
Then cutout plant can read these parameters from txt file... But here I stuck. Because first - I'm not sure that elevation marker will record this data while you are drawing your section line. Text I/O will write data only if parameter or UI script is activated. For example, it is possible to create some button "send data" in section marker UI.
The second problem is - how the plant will know in which section it's shown currently?

I thought that closest command could be:
n = REQUEST ("HomeDB_info", ...)
But it will return the ID and name of floor plan, where plant was placed.

So currently there is no clear solution for that.
Learn and get certified!