BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.
SOLVED!

Possible to have a "free" placement of 2D for a gdl object?

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Hi,
I was making fire exit signs as 2D and 3D and I would like th place the sign as a 3D object where it's supposed to be in the building. The 2D however I would like to be moveable since I have to place it somewehere else because of tha amount of other info that's in the way. Is it possible to do? Like a zone stamp kind of...but it should be a 2D-symbol instead.

/Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly
Sure.
Add a couple of parameters for x and y offsets.
You can even make a moveable hotspot for them - this will make it easy to move around in plan.
Then use ADD2 at the beginning of your 2D script to allow the 2D object to move.
You don't use these parameters in the 3D script so it won't move.
It might be best to put a HOTSPOT2 0,0 just before the ADD2 so you can easily see where the object is in relation to the real 3D position.
This way you can move it in plan and know where it will be in 3D.
i.e.- use the moveable hotspot to move the 2D representation and move the fixed hotspot to position the actual 3D object.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Solution
Barry Kelly
Sure.
You can even make a moveable hotspot for them - this will make it easy to move around in plan.
Then use ADD2 at the beginning of your 2D script to allow the 2D object to move.
It might be best to put a HOTSPOT2 0,0 just before the ADD2 so you can easily see where the object is in relation to the real 3D position.
i.e.- use the moveable hotspot to move the 2D representation and move the fixed hotspot to position the actual 3D object.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Barry wrote:
Sure.

Barry.
Gr8!
We'll give it a try.
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I tried this for a while, then I realised that the extra action of moving the text was about the same as just having a 3D object and a 2D text and got lazy. Maybe something to consider, unless you are placing a lot of these.

For a while I did it with label, hiding the object you would still see the label layer. Think that got broken a few versions ago where if you hide the object layer, the associated label goes away too.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Erwin wrote:
For a while I did it with label, hiding the object you would still see the label layer. Think that got broken a few versions ago where if you hide the object layer, the associated label goes away too.
This was added as an option.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Thanks for point that one out, Richard!
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro