Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Smoothing geometry for Google Warehouse object imports?

Anonymous
Not applicable
When importing objects from Google Sketchup the result in ArchiCAD is always really faceted/triangulated-looking regardless of whether the edges were first smoothed in Sketchup. This is fine for rectilinear shapes but not so much for shapes with warped surfaces.

A similar topic was discussed in this thread:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=35949&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=desc&highligh...
However the strategy was based around manipulating the 2D symbolic view of the object in Section/Elevation.

I've noticed that the smoothing function of the mesh tool translates to GDL library parts when saved. Does anyone have any magical ideas for communicating the Google Sketchup geometry to a mesh (maybe as a contour map) that can then be smoothed?

Does anyone have any other bright ideas for simplifying the resulting appearance of Google Warehouse object imports in section/elevation view?
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you can wait a week or two until ArchiCAD 16 is released, then the new Morph tool will be very useful for this problem.

http://www.archicadwiki.com/RemoveTriangulationFromImportedObjects
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
Oh goodie ! Thanks Peter, that looks great, that might be worth the upgrade alone as there are now lots of model parts out there which I have only attempted to use when I couldn't do anything else, and then it didn't look very good due to all the facets.

Cheers,
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
Anonymous
Not applicable
Gerald wrote:
Oh goodie ! Thanks Peter, that looks great, that might be worth the upgrade alone as there are now lots of model parts out there which I have only attempted to use when I couldn't do anything else, and then it didn't look very good due to all the facets.

Cheers,

It does sound useful, doesn't it!

I don't know any of the details, but I suspect that this is what the new bimcomponents.com website will be based on - the user-led conversion of the 1000's of existing Sketchup and 3ds based objects that are currently too poly-heavy and not set up for 2d.

And as the Morph tool allows you to 'explode' any object back into editable Morphs, I guess it should be easy to remove or add extra detail and reduce polycount, then save it back again.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sweet. I hope it works as effortlessly as their example there.
rocorona
Booster
Peter wrote:

And as the Morph tool allows you to 'explode' any object back into editable Morphs, I guess it should be easy to remove or add extra detail and reduce polycount, then save it back again.
Throwing away the historical parametricity of GDL. Amen.

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
rocorona wrote:
-Very true
Anonymous
Not applicable
rocorona wrote:
RIP GDL parametricity. Amen.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jose wrote:
rocorona wrote:
it is far far away... i think
Anonymous
Not applicable
ila2 wrote:
Jose wrote:
rocorona wrote:
it is far far away... i think
Its a joke...

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!