BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Text Rotation in Wall Label

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm hoping one of you GDL-gurus out there can help me with a little problem I'm experiencing with my wall labels. The effect I'm after is a fixed text rotation of 0-degrees regardless of the orientation of the wall. So, the wall label itself needs to respond perpendicularly to the orientation of the wall (which it does), but I'd like the text to ignore the orientation of both the wall and the label and always read horizontally (0-degrees). Is there a variable that I can add into the 2d script to achieve this effect?

Thanks in advance for your help!
5 REPLIES 5
Erika Epstein
Booster
There is a check-box option for text and label text to lock the angle of the text block.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
erika:

thanks for the response. however, i see no such checkbox. the label i am using is an associative label under the wall tool in the label settings dialogue. the label is set to reference the id of the wall and appear when i check the "label elements" box in the wall settings dialogue. thus far, the label is doing its job nicely aside from the fact that the text within the label won't stay at a fixed rotation of 0-degrees as the wall orientation changes.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Labels are a pain to make work right (perhaps my main pet peeve). I have yet to find (or write) a wall tag that places itself properly and remains oriented to the wall. I know I met someone who managed it (for energy calcs) once. I would like to sort this one out.
Anonymous
Not applicable
With help from a GDL-savvy friend, I finally made some leeway with the text rotation. It seems that adding the following lines forces the text to stay rotated at 0-degrees regardless of the orientation of the wall. It's a start!

!Add these lines below the label_position lines of the part
if ww = 180 then ww = 0
if ww = 270 then ww = 90
rot2 ww+90
if mir = 1 then rot2 180
!Disable any other wall direction variables

!Add these lines above the STYLE lines of the part
rot2 -ww
if mir = 1 then rot2 180

Feel free to post any further thoughts or improvements and thanks for your input!
Brian wrote:
Add these lines below the label_position lines of the part
if ww = 180 then ww = 0
if ww = 270 then ww = 90
rot2 ww+90
if mir = 1 then rot2 180
!Disable any other wall direction variables
It is assumed that 'ww' and 'mir' are set elsewhere to represent the globals for wall direction and mirroring.
!Add these lines above the STYLE lines of the part
rot2 -ww
if mir = 1 then rot2 180
Technically, those ROT transformations just need to be before the TEXT2 statement(s), not the STYLE definition or directive. IMO, it's a good habit to put the transformations near the things you are moving.

No nitpicking intended, just wanted to clarify. Looks like you're on your way though.
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Learn and get certified!