Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Trusses and Beams (wood and steel) GDL Objects

Anonymous
Not applicable
One of the issues with the "canned" GDL objects for TJI Joists and beams (for example) is that you cannot -or at least I cannot - lay those beams in 3D space at an angle to span from a lower wall plate to a higher wall plate on the other side of the spanned space.

I noticed that maybe a couple of years ago there was a PR announcement that Weyerhauser (US) and archiCAD were collaborating on a GDL library for Weyerhauser's TJI, Glulam and other structural wood products. Today the web link cited in the PR announcement doesn't exist and neither do ANY GDL objects.

Has anyone found a source for highly editable and parametric structural timber components like Glulams, TJIs and open-web floor and roof trusses that can be paid at an angle on section to span a shed roof space?

Thanks

Phil Allsopp
Transpolis Global: USA Inc.
Phoenix, AZ USA.
pallsopp42@gmail.com
7 REPLIES 7
Dwight
Newcomer
Archicad 16's MORPH tool converts objects into editable entities that can be rotated/tilted.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
THANK YOU!

Much appreciated!
Hobbesnb
Booster
The current Joist Beam and Wood I-Joist objects in AC16 don't allow for rotation, but do have some nice features otherwise. Until someone modifies the code to allow for rotation and custom cutting planes (create a wish for this functionality in the Wishlist forum), I think your best option would be to create custom profiles for use with the beam tool.
Scott Graham, AIA LEED BD+C

Principal | BIM Manager

Muhlenberg Greene Architects, Ltd.

Wyomissing, PA 19610

V6.5-26.0
Hobbesnb
Booster
There is also a library of Trusjoist products here:

http://www.bimstop.com/bim-content/trusjoist-archicad-objects/

I've posted a comment requesting the ability to slope them, but i'm not sure how effective that will be.
Scott Graham, AIA LEED BD+C

Principal | BIM Manager

Muhlenberg Greene Architects, Ltd.

Wyomissing, PA 19610

V6.5-26.0
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Hobbesnb wrote:
The current Joist Beam and Wood I-Joist objects in AC16 don't allow for rotation, but do have some nice features otherwise. Until someone modifies the code to allow for rotation and custom cutting planes (create a wish for this functionality in the Wishlist forum), I think your best option would be to create custom profiles for use with the beam tool.
Try using OBJECTiVE to rotate and cut the objects - it will add the required scripts and parameters automatically.

If you refer to the attached image, I used OBJECTiVE to rotate a standard sofa object (with no rotation parameters). The rotated object retains all its parameters and user interface, and can be scheduled as usual, i.e. it doesn't lose any intelligence. If you use morphing, it becomes a dumb, non-parametric blob, so your beams will no longer have any of their original parametric and scheduling data.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Dennis Lee
Booster
This is an old post, but I came across searching for a sloping TJI object. Finding none, I had to modify the object to make it slope, here is what I did.

1. Place "Wood I-Joist 22" object in plan.
2. File - Libraries and Objects - Open Object
3. Under "Parameters", click "New" at the top left (Next to picture Icon)
4. Make new parameter called "ry", choose "Angle" for Type, "Sloping Angle" for Name.
5. Goto "3D" tab on the left, and find a place to insert this line "roty ry" Usually at the top of the 3d script works.
6. File - Save As - "Wood I-Joist 22_Slope_dl" into the embedded library.
7. Place the newly saved object in plan.
8. There should be a parameter called "Sloping Angle", which will slope the TJI.
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
DennisG
Participant
Thank you, this is most helpful.
Dennis Glynn AIA
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
ArchiCAD-64 23 3003 USA FULL
x64 Clone PC w/Intel(R) Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors
NVIDIA Quadro K620
16.00 GB RAM
Win 10 Pro x64 based PC