BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Which xml editor do you use for tweaking objects?

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
I'm going to convert 21-objects to 19...
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
9 REPLIES 9
I use Sublime Text...not only for xml, but some normal editing tasks as well.

When downgrading objects keep in mind that some commands will not work or will be working differently in older versions.

Piotr
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Piotr wrote:
I use Sublime Text...not only for xml, but some normal editing tasks as well.

When downgrading objects keep in mind that some commands will not work or will be working differently in older versions.

Piotr
Thanks Piotr, I'll try that one. Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

When using the library tool for converting objects to xml - You have to determine which version You are downgrading to, It can be done when Your files are in xml format but LP_XMLConverter can do it automatically.
(as well as password protecting/decrypting and so on)

Piotr
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
I use Xcode on macOS and Visual Studio on Windows. You can make a project with the entire library source tree and create build scripts to automatically convert to lib parts.
Ralph Wessel BArch
I wish there was some addon to compile& visualize the way GDL works in any development environment /editor....for now while developing I keep copying and pasting between AC and Sublime Text.

For now thanks to Runxel: https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=98350
there is a package for GDL with snippets and syntax for Sublime Text which is crossplatform - MAC & PC

Piotr
Joachim Suehlo
Advisor
for now while developing I keep copying and pasting between AC and Sublime Text.
For this reason we have developed GDL nucleus, which takes the work for you, so you do not have to copy and paste, embed pictures, make backups etc.
See http://www.opengdl.org/Default.aspx?tabid=9748 and
Joachim Suehlo . AC12-27 . MAC OSX 13.5 . WIN11
GDL object creation: b-prisma.de
Emil Meijer
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Also running Sublime Text with a GDL Syntax plugin added to it.
You can find more information about the GDL environment for Sublime here.
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Lot's of really clever and interesting insight from you guys! We'll try this after summer. The past months we've seen a huge boost for the BIMobject Hercules platform among larger clients. Basically the client has it's own portal at BIMobject from where we as a consultant can download objects with all necessary data already built in and also there is a possibility to push data into the model further on in the FM model. We haven't used it yet but will after summer. I'm just anxious that some companies will create only Revit objects in the portal and then we need a way to convert them in a smart way. We've started educating some people in converting whatever format to gsm by using Rhino where we reduce the polygon count and assign objects to layers. In AC we then need to fix the 2D and some more and on the whole the process is repeatable but time consuming (and boring).

/Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

runxel
Legend
You should definitely try out Sublime Text and the GDL plugin.

Full disclosure: I'm the author.
Open to questions and comments.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Learn and get certified!