Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Zone Relations

Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought I created a really cool gdl object that would automate some of the redundant tasks in our office. However, after writing the code, and testing it out on a small evaluation file, it was deployed to the office. Unfortunately it exploded upon impact and failed to perform as intended.

I was tying to exploit the "I" in BIM. Maybe I was expecting too much.

Here is the background. We are a 75+ person firm with both architects and engineers working in ArchiCAD, (Teamwork of course). Our general building type is multi-family housing. Therefore, we frequently use module files of the unit plans and build a composite file of the overall building. The overall composite file contains zones which define the footprint of each unit. This is also the data source for room names, room numbers as well as door numbers.

Unfortunately, the engineers cannot work with one location for the zone stamp. Depending upon the equipment that is being drawn on the respective plan, the zone stamp needs to reside in different locations. This created redundant zone stamps each living on different layers for each discipline. While this creates redundant data, it also create a coordination/updating headache. (What was once a closet is now laundry or something else.)

So I created this object that would use the REQUEST ("Zone_Relations") command to query the zone name and number and display it accordingly. While the zone needs to be on for the object "to see" the zone, the Zone Stamp was set to Hide through the Model View Options for the engineering drawings. This way each discipline could position the object relevant to their needs. Any change to the zone name or number would reflect in the respective object.

So as I mentioned earlier, it worked fine on a small test file. However, on a large scale deployment, the object fails to display all of the zone names. Instead, it just displays the null response of "?" that was coded into the object. This is true on both views and layouts. A refresh of the views may refresh some, but then others will blank out. It seems like the layout quits the updating process before all of the zones are read.

This is really frustrating because it was presented to the office as this great time-saver that takes advantage of the projects database, facilitates coordination and exploits BIM to the next level. I guess not.

I have attached the object if you want to take it for a test drive.

Regards,

Joe Augustine
ArchiCAD 19

(since 8.0)
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly
The object didn't attach.
You will need to ZIP it - can't attach GSM objects directly.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Attached is a compressed version of the file.
Bruce
Expert
Although I don't know how to fix your particular method, a different method that works (50+ staff on one project, 160,000sqm) is to use your MVOs to achieve the same result.

You have only the one zone stamp object, attached to the zone as per normal. However, depending on the MVO active, it will display different content (size, format...whatever you want), and use different offset coordinates to position on the plan.

The trick is to leave the stamp origin where it is, and use the stretch command in the pet palette to move the stamp (takes some training of staff). These offset coordinates are stored in an array in your stamp object, and use the MVO to reference.

Hope this makes sense.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Dukatas
Participant
This is a 19 issue. Stamps seemed to have worked fine even without the zone fill on in MVO's in previous releases of Archicad.
Ben Hruska
ArchiCAD 3.1 - 24
iMac
Dukatas
Participant
Error shows "View dependent global 'GLOB_SCALE' used in parameter script.."

I interpret this as Parameter script references a dependent global when it is placed in a view on a layout and hence no values passed to it. hmmmm
Ben Hruska
ArchiCAD 3.1 - 24
iMac
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dukatas wrote:
Error shows "View dependent global 'GLOB_SCALE' used in parameter script.."

I interpret this as Parameter script references a dependent global when it is placed in a view on a layout and hence no values passed to it. hmmmm
Read here >>> http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=49395.
While the script is running, though, and issues a warning. In 20 version likely will not. So fix - while there is time. GS made a very unpleasant innovations that we have to rewrite in all old elements where used GLOB_.