Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

cavity closure in 3D model...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Im trying to model a wall with internal insulation as a part of a renovation.

It is a 30cm wall with 5cm of insulation glued onto the interior surface, wrapping round the reveals of the windows and openings so that it finishs up against the window and door frames.

I have worked out how to model this on the floor plan using composite structures and the cavity closure settings, which im pleased with

however...

when I try and make a 3D document showing a cut away of a window, the insulation is not shown turning into the window reveal as it does on the plan.

Can someone tell me if it is possible to show this cavity closure detail on the 3D document?
or is it a limitation of Archicad?

Im using Archicad 13

Merci!

Capturer.JPG
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
The pattern wrap is presently just a symbolic representation in plan. The 3D model does not yet include this level of detail. It can be done by explicitly modeling it in a few different ways. Whether this is worth the trouble is up to you. You can also touch up the 3D document with some fills.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Matthew, I might have a go and see how much work is involved.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The quick and dirty way would be to assemble the return with column and beam profiles. The nice bit about this is that you can even get into anomalous sill and header conditions. It can also be handy to group them so the can be copied and dragged about as a unit. Also they should cut their intersection with the wall automatically.

The drag of this is approach having to fit the bits in addition to placing the window and then drag them around separately when you need to move the window at they. You can't group them or drag them with the window since the window is part of the wall.
Matthew wrote:
The pattern wrap is presently just a symbolic representation in plan. The 3D model does not yet include this level of detail.
So, i presume this is the reason why the wall closure in the floor plan is only visible when the "Symbolic" option is selected in the Floor Plan Display options... correct?
Mac OSX 13.6.4 | AC 26 INT 3001 FULL
Erika Epstein
Booster
Achille wrote:
Matthew wrote:
The pattern wrap is presently just a symbolic representation in plan. The 3D model does not yet include this level of detail.
So, i presume this is the reason why the wall closure in the floor plan is only visible when the "Symbolic" option is selected in the Floor Plan Display options... correct?
Yes.
It's been requested that the wrap become 3D.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
This still happens in the new 3d plan document in AC 17.
Also in AC17 if you create a transparent building material to simulate air gap, the adjacent material doesn't show. as a result you see that the wall is inside a hollow box. If it was an air gap between to brick wall layers the side material of the bricks should show.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ioannis spyridis
AC12,13,14,15,16,17
WIN X64
Anonymous
Not applicable
ispyridis wrote:
This still happens in the new 3d plan document in AC 17.
Also in AC17 if you create a transparent building material to simulate air gap, the adjacent material doesn't show. as a result you see that the wall is inside a hollow box. If it was an air gap between to brick wall layers the side material of the bricks should show.
This has always been a problem with complex profiles as well. If there is a face of a transparent material coincident with an opaque material the opaque one becomes transparent when viewed from that direction. I assume this is a problem with normal vectors, occlusion or something. The solution is either to leave the airspace as a void or put a very small gap between the two.