Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

custom skylight

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can we create a custom skylight, kind to the custom window or door, so as to place it on a shell?
11 REPLIES 11
Karl Ottenstein
Unfortunately, there is no simple 'save as' method as for doors/windows for creating a skylight. You'll have to script it. See:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=189598

I expected this question within weeks of 15 being delivered, since skylights are the only openings available for shells. Many of us expected GS to provide a 'save as' method - or at least to be able to use standard windows/doors in shells.

As Laszlo noted in the other thread, it may be best to take an existing skylight and modify it. (GDL knowledge required, though.) I tried seeing if any easy method was available - changing the subtype of an existing window to 'skylight', but that doesn't work: a hole is cut, but the window elements are parallel to the ground and not rotated into the plan of the hole.

Sorry.

Karl

PS I'm moving this thread to the Libraries forum...
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
griggadee
Contributor
Are there any updates on this thread? I am trying to create a custom shaped skylight.

Thanks
Paul Griggs BSc (Hons) MCIAT MCIOB
Chartered Architectural Technologist
AC23, i5 3570K Processor, 16gb RAM, NVidia 570GTX Graphics Card, 250gb SSD Drive
i just save as a window, then change the subtype for the gdl object. then you have all you need to make it work with very minor gdl knowledge
griggadee
Contributor
Hi SenecaDesignLLC,

Thanks for the reply. As I have never done that before, can you point me in the direction of some idiot proof instructions?

Cheers,
Paul Griggs BSc (Hons) MCIAT MCIOB
Chartered Architectural Technologist
AC23, i5 3570K Processor, 16gb RAM, NVidia 570GTX Graphics Card, 250gb SSD Drive
I'll make you a video later today. It's pretty simple once you get the hang of it
Anonymous
Not applicable
any update on this post. I need to make a custom skylight. I did an object with subtype skylight, but my form is not a rectangle and the roof hole that appears is a rectangle form.
There should be but i get side tracked easily. Ill try to make the video once i am done with my cabinets
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
ritadiniz wrote:
any update on this post. I need to make a custom skylight. I did an object with subtype skylight, but my form is not a rectangle and the roof hole that appears is a rectangle form.
The Skylight will always cut a rectangle form into the Roof. You need to script your Skylight library part so that it also contains a body that fills the gap between the rectangular hole and the Skylight shape.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
ritadiniz wrote:
The Skylight will always cut a rectangle form into the Roof. You need to script your Skylight library part so that it also contains a body that fills the gap between the rectangular hole and the Skylight shape.
Sorry, but could you tell me how can i do that? or where can i find it...thank you so much