Licensing
About all sorts of licenses, their management, Graphisoft ID, Graphisoft Store, License Manager Tool, etc.

ArchiCAD 7.0 is there a use for it in 2023

Lescol
Newcomer

I'm a retired Architect and I have cleared out all my books and other accumulated items collected during my career. I've come across two boxes each with a copy of ArchiCAD 6.0 and a box of ArchiCAD 7.0 with a 5 seat Keyplug (dongle). I can't remember where these came from but I did use ArchiCAD for a short time before for various reasons changing to AutoCAD.

Rather than throw these programmes out I wonder if anyone can use them or can they be recycled abroad (I'm in the UK).

I would appreciate any advice, perhaps it would be a breach of the license or Graphisoft needs a copy for their museum? I don't know.

3 REPLIES 3
Karl Ottenstein

The main use for any active user is to convert projects older then 7.0, but all active licensees have access to every older release as part of their license and there is a special "file conversion" release of Archicad 7.0 for the purpose of converting old projects.

The software will not run on current versions of macOS - but will run under Windows, even Windows 11 - although I'm not sure about the driver for the Keyplug..which I'm guessing is an old colored plastic WIBU key (which were replaced with Codemeter keys - from the same German company - some years later).

It's a shame you didn't sell 20 years ago when the package had considerable value, but it "could" have value as a donation to a school in a country that otherwise would not be able to get any version of Archicad.   For example, small towns in Africa, such as Mfuwe in Zambia, a region I'm a little familiar with.  Archicad 7.0 was a useful and stable version, and 5 licenses could open up opportunities for kids.

I don't think it has any commercial value at this point, as the transfer and upgrade fees would probably not safe a purchaser any money.  The only way to find that out is to contact Graphisoft UK and ask them.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein

P.S.  You could recycle the Archicad 6.0 box/content.  The 5 license keyplug was presumably upgraded to 7.0 and there would be no reason to run 6.0, which was significantly improved upon by 6.5 and 7.0.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

I can tell with a very high level of confidence that the guys in Africa would rather get a cracked copy over using a 20 year old version. I often have young technicians come into my office with 2 years experience on ArchiCAD, but never having ever touched an original version. 
I think its a win for ArchiCAD, as it opens the market up.