Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

2 walls with 1 door

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I am trying to make a building with an exterior wall with vertical wood from 0-900 mm height, and then horizontal wood from 900-3000mm.

I did this by making two walls, one from 0-900mm, and another one on top from 900-3000m.

Then I added a door, however, the door is only added to one of the walls, the other wall does not interact with the door, and the 3D view appear very strange.

How should I do this?

Also, how can I make my own exterior material?
Any tutorials for this?

I also made a hip roof with different angles on the north-south 20 degrees, and east-west sections 45 degrees. However, when I try to connect the east-west sections to the already placed north-south ones, the top node, where the three roofs intersect, is placed with an offset even though it says it is on spot with a filled pen and shows zero distance. This offset show very clearly in the 3D view, is this a bug, or what am I doing wrong?

I am using AC13 on windows 7.

Thank you,

Thomas
8 REPLIES 8
Dwight
Newcomer
1Door+2Walls [threesome]:

Use an empty opening to cut the hole in the second wall, or
develop a Composite Wall [see reference material] that encompasses both wall assemblies.

OOOOPS!!!! That's not adequate!!!!

I mean: make a Complex Profile wall with the different materials defined. See:

Eric's article

and

changing materials

New Wall material:

Duplicate an existing material and adjust accordingly. You should be able to figure this out by studying an existing material - the only tricky part is generating an image that will appear 'seamless' once tiled as a texture.

Roof problem:

Post the image and settings.
Dwight Atkinson
Karl Ottenstein
Dwight wrote:
Roof problem:

Post the image and settings.
Thomasx,

...post the question again, with images and settings, in a new thread with a subject line that reflects the issue. Please try to avoid discussing issues in a thread that are not related to the thread subject. 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
For differing wall cladding types you can use Cadimage's Coverings tool (formerly Wall Builder accessory). Very versatile and hopefully a little less flakey than previous versions.

http://www.cadimageworld.com/products/tools/coverings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
1Door+2Walls [threesome]:

I mean: make a Complex Profile wall with the different materials defined. See:
I did try this, and it works fine for the lower part with the horizontal structure. But how can I create a vertical structure that repeats itself along the length of the wall using the complex profile tool? I.e. imagine a profiled vertical board 120mm wide that is supposed to repeat itself along the wall.
Dwight
Newcomer
Right.

Modelling siding chamfers is ridiculous. It creates too many polygons, slowing rendering.

Here's what you do instead:

For analytical elevations:
select a vector fill and space lines appropriately. Turn it to match siding direction. If you really need to show each board in section, model the horizontal boards only.

For renderings:
Find a siding texture image. Duplicate it and rotate.

OR:

Make the complex profile wall, leaving a reveal/void where the vertical siding appears. Create a series of vertical boards with shaped slabs as the vertical boards.
Use an SEO block to cut the vertical boards for the door opening.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:

Make the complex profile wall, leaving a reveal/void where the vertical siding appears. Create a series of vertical boards with shaped slabs as the vertical boards.
Use an SEO block to cut the vertical boards for the door opening.
Ok, thanx.
It seems I'll end up doing everything manually using slabs.
I'm new to AC, and very surprised about how complex it is to make even the simplest things. In sweden, 99%, at least, of all wooden houses have vertical wood boards as exterior wall cladding. And as far as I can understand, AC does not support this in any specific way. We can't be that odd 😉
Dwight
Newcomer
Any culture presenting Lizbeth Salander as a hero and Surströmming as a national dish is odd. Surströmming beats Canadian Muktuk hands down for odour intensity. Anything that needs to be eaten outdoors is bound to win.

You are right that totally modelling a structure is somewhat beyond technology right now. Many things remain described schematically in the interest of brevity.

Another approach for you is to create a series of SEO columns that will cut a plain wall surface to make the chamfers when distributed along a wall. This seems like a reasonable compromise.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
You don't have to model the vertical boards, or the horizontal ones for that matter. Just have a material assigned (to the complex profile, if that is what is used) with a vectorial fill representing the boards for elevations, and a texture image for 3D / Rendering. An adequate solution if the cladding is predominantly one plane, maybe not quite as satisfactory if it's a board and batten type cladding.

If you want to go full 3D, I recommend the Accessory method.