BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

3D Element operations with slabs

Paopao
Booster
Sorry for the dumb question but I am having difficulties (i.e.: I can't) apply 3D element operations to slabs. I choose the two elements (target and operator) and nothing happens. Any idea where the glitch is? I remember doing it few months ago while playing around with AC18.

Pao
AC26 EDU • WIN 10 • Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz• 32G RAM• NVidia GForce GTX 1080
10 REPLIES 10
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
This may be a stupid response. Is it possible you either you operator or target are part of a group and grouping is turned on?

Cheers,
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Or are they part of (different) hotlinked modules?

Are you choosing the right operation (there are several options)?

Are they interfering with eachother based on building material priority?

Check the renovation status of both elements.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Paopao
Booster
I fear the program is corrupted as I can't use any of the solid element operation, not even with morphs!
Has this ever happened to anyone? There is no way to do any of the solid operations on any 3D object. I have eve tried with a brand new file and the result is the same. It worked few weeks ago I do remember modelling something.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Do you see the connection grid icon appear?

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-19/archicad-19-int-reference-guide/elements-of-the-...# as described here.

If you do not see that, then there is no actual connection.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Paopao
Booster
Erwin wrote:
Do you see the connection grid icon appear?

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-19/archicad-19-int-reference-guide/elements-of-the-...# as described here.

If you do not see that, then there is no actual connection.
Yes, I can see it but I can't perform any operation I have tried everything but there is no way out. As a last resource I will try to copy everything into a new file and see how it goes (It's a massive file...) but the operations don't even perform on new files.

Now I have got yet another strange behaviour: my walls display an arrow (I guess it is the direction in drawing the walls).
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
That arrow is just the direction of the reference line, it doesn't show up in printing. Nor does the reference line for that matter, it's an on screen view option.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Paopao
Booster
Erwin wrote:
That arrow is just the direction of the reference line, it doesn't show up in printing. Nor does the reference line for that matter, it's an on screen view option.

Thanks! At least the arrow isn't a problem!

Here is a snap of what happens: I want to subtract the small element from the big on. As you can see something happens inside the big element as the subtracting section seems to be there. When I delete the small box though the hole isn't there.
SubtractionF.jpg
Paopao
Booster
Solved it putting it on a hidden layer.
I am a bit confused now: do I always have to put elements operators in hidden layers? I was used to modelling in CAD ...dumb me!
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Yes, the operation is live, so deleting elements removes the operation.

You should have one (preferably two) dedicated layers for SEO. One layer will have the same layer intersection group number as the bulk of your layers (typically 1), you can use this layer for elements that cut your building even without SEO just from building material priority. The other layer should have an intersection number exclusive to that layer (like 99, or 50 or whatever high you would unlikely reach), so that building material priority is not taken into account when interacting with other elements.

They should be hidden on your typical layer combinations and I prefer a wire model view on my 'show all layers' type combinations. That way you can more clearly see what's going on with the cutting.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Learn and get certified!