Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

3D model cut surfaces

toman311
Enthusiast
So, I am working on a 3D model and I am now adding a roof to it. The "Trim Elements to Roof/Shell" doesn't work properly for some reason, so I am using SEO to trim the walls to the roof. The problem with this is that for some reason when I hide the roof so I can see the floor plan in 3D the cut surfaces of the walls are all changed to Brick - Stack Bond Surfaces. With the SEO, I don't want to "Inherit from Operator". What I want is the different layers of the Complex Profile wall to show up, or at least a wood color for the layers would be acceptable. Is it even possible to get the different layers to show up when the wall is cut like they do when the wall is not cut?

I also checked the "Filter and Cut Elements in 3D". It seems that no matter what setting I set it too, whether "Use Element Attributes" or "Custom" (which the surface is set to black), the same cut surface still shows on all the cut walls.
Why don't these settings affect anything?
>ArchiCAD 23, 7000 USA FULL

>iMac, 27-inch, 2020, Processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, Toman, when Using Solid element operation to do this operation, the wall will use the edge surface assigned, even if is grayed out (off), just change it to any surface you want to show. About the settings in the "Filter and Cut Elements in 3D", the cut surface refers to the cut made by the 3D cutaway or the show marquee selection in 3D only, It does not refer the cut elements by SEO or any other operations. Hope that Helps!
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you want to show the composite materials of the wall, you should use the Trim elements to roof/shell operation.
Why could be not working for u?
Can you give us some more info to check why?
toman311
Enthusiast
Thanks for the quick reply and the useful information!
>ArchiCAD 23, 7000 USA FULL

>iMac, 27-inch, 2020, Processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB