Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC 10 Doors and Windows

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have to admit I have only used AC 10 for about an hour, but, what happens to all the doors and windows settings from AC 9.

Having spent lots and lots of time getting the doors and windows to look just right, I would like to be able to keep their settings in AC 10.

I would prefer not to have to load the AC 9 libaries if possible.

Thanks,

Grant
8 REPLIES 8
Rick Thompson
Expert
You can load any library you want. I have carried over my evolving library and everything is well. My favorites behave the same, but now have greater ability to be used easily. If I load my favorites, select whatever window or door, there it is as before. Do you use favorites? You could actually cut from 9 and paste into 10 if that helps, but favorites work great fro what you seem to be describing?

You can not open 10 and expect it to do the same thing as 9 with the same result. It is a new version, and behaves accordingly.. it takes some time (took me a lot actually.. and I'm still working on it, but I do love it).

I don't use AC's windows and door, but if you are using the same exact object, you can use it the same. I am not that up on those lib changes, but if you were using the special addition, I think that is what comes in the basic AC10 library.

Keeping standard settings that take time to develop is a good reason to evolve you own library as you upgrade. I like Smartparts, have for years.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rick, thanks for the reply.

I may use AC slightly differently when setting up projects. After a project is completed, I save it to a template and then turn all layers on and delete everything.

This way I have all my settings stored that I have developed or redeveloped over time.

I have specific parameters setup in AC 9 doors and windows that I would like to use in AC 10.

I know I can load the AC 9 library, but from what I see in AC 10, there seems to be more flexibility in using some of the parameters.

An AC 9 door used in AC 10 uses the same parameter dialogue box that is in AC 9. And a door or window from AC 10 used in AC 10 utilizes the AC 10 parameter dialogue box. This all seems normal.

But, I would like to use my settings from AC 9 with the AC 10 parameter dialogue box, or at least the ability to transfer parameters.

It doesn't seem like AC 10 supports this.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

Grant
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I haven't tried this in AC10 yet, but you should be able to eye-drop the parameters from your cool AC9 door, then open the Door Settings dialog, and inject the preview icon of the corresponding AC10 door, *before* you click on it. Then you can either insert a new AC10 door, inject it back into your original AC9 door, or even better make a favorite of it!

Same with windows, but as I said I haven't tried it yet, so I'd be interested to see how it works.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link is correct. We've been doing this a lot in AC 10 to convert windows and doors to the new versions. Works like a charm.
Anonymous
Not applicable
For the projects from AC9 you must use just libraries from AC9 in AC10, in my opinion.
Otherwise just conflict.
And the libraries for door and window from AC9 is quite ok to finish the job.
Rick Thompson
Expert
Link wrote:
, or even better make a favorite of it!
Cheers,
Link.
I would encourage you to open your blank template file and make favorites of anything and everything. In 10 only the favorites for that tool are displayed in the fav window. This really helps plowing through them.. shortens the list a lot. I use to keep my template file open on another screen just to copy paste settings. Now I don't need to. Another advantage is working on an older file. It is easy to upgrade that file with your newer settings.

My only wish is a preference that ac would load the latest favorite file when you open the file, rather than having to manually reload it to make sure you have you latest fav file available. I understand some might not want that, so it should be a option available in the work environment. You can still have several named fav versions, but have the file pull the latest one with that name. Maybe a good time to add that to the wish list.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
I haven't tried this in AC10 yet, but you should be able to eye-drop the parameters from your cool AC9 door, then open the Door Settings dialog, and inject the preview icon of the corresponding AC10 door, *before* you click on it. Then you can either insert a new AC10 door, inject it back into your original AC9 door, or even better make a favorite of it!
I do not own a copy of AC10 yet so I can not try this, but I was under the understanding that objects from the Standard AC 9 Library can not transfer parameters to the new AC 10 Library. This was the case with attempting to transfer parameters from AC 9 (Standard) to AC 9SE library. And I thought that the AC 10 Library was based on the AC 9SE.

I spent many wasted hours attempting to get the AC9SE library doors and windows to work as I liked. I went back to Standard Library.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jay wrote:
Link wrote:
I do not own a copy of AC10 yet so I can not try this, but I was under the understanding that objects from the Standard AC 9 Library can not transfer parameters to the new AC 10 Library. This was the case with attempting to transfer parameters from AC 9 (Standard) to AC 9SE library. And I thought that the AC 10 Library was based on the AC 9SE.

I spent many wasted hours attempting to get the AC9SE library doors and windows to work as I liked. I went back to Standard Library.
I was meeting with a client today (also a beta tester) who told me that he had opened a project in 10 using only the AC10 library which was started in 9 with the SE library. Not only did it open with no problems (or missing parts), it also saved back to 9 (and SE lib) without incident. This is despite a name change for the parts. It looks like we really need to get to know how this GUID stuff works. This experience suggests that it could turn out to be a very good thing. (I'm still troubled by the impenetrability of the codes though.)