Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC 14 incredibly slow cut/copy

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry if this has already been discussed... Tried to search but couldn't seem to come up with a specific enough search term...

We are finding AC 14 to have incredibly slow cut/copy times... I've had 13 open at the same time an know that 13 is zippy whereas 14 can take a very long time to copy even a label or text block not to mention something more complex... Drag a copy is still zippy.... And when it is finally cut or copied paste is fine....

thoughts?
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't say I've noticed. It's possible I haven't done much cut/copy in 14 yet though it seems unlikely. I'll keep an eye out for this.
Haneef Tayob
Booster
Is your [Navigator/Organiser layout Editor] pallete open?
If it is try to see if there's a speed difference when you turn it off.

We used to have a similiar problem in AC11. We noticed it happened when we had that pallete open. It never made sense and we never figured out why.

Try switching off various palletes to see if there's any difference.
Haneef Tayob
Aziz Tayob Architects
AC23 INT rel 3003, OS X 10.14.6 iMac 3.3ghz i5 dual monitor, 24GB RAM
Anonymous
Not applicable
Haneef wrote:
Is your [Navigator/Organiser layout Editor] pallete open?
If it is try to see if there's a speed difference when you turn it off.

We used to have a similiar problem in AC11. We noticed it happened when we had that pallete open. It never made sense and we never figured out why.

Try switching of various palletes to see if there's any difference.
I tried closing the navigator - view map... no change. I'll play with other things later... my palette/tool layout is exactly the same as 13

as a reference it take approx. 11 seconds to copy the object Tap 14
Karl Ottenstein
I'm seeing similar delays on my Mac, Steve - 5 seconds to copy a single wall. About 5 seconds of hourglass cursor, and then a half second of spinning beachball. The object Tap 14 "only" takes 3 seconds to copy on my machine.

(In AC 13, it takes 1.5 to 2 seconds to copy a wall. That is still ridiculous. AC 12 has no delays at all for me - behaves the way it should.)

A client I'm training via Skype is seeing it take several seconds to copy an element on his new Windows 7 Pro 64 bit machine, too.

The paste is instantaneous.

Thinking the problem was some corruption in the project file, migrated from AC 9, I started a fresh project with the 14 template, closed all palettes, and had the same behavior.

Makes no sense. Ridiculous loss in productivity. Also looking for any ideas/solutions.

Thanks,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Same here. My computer will respond in a similar fashion when copying. Probably has to do with the way Archicad is updating the teamwork functions behind the scenes.
Karl Ottenstein
zeropointreference wrote:
Same here. My computer will respond in a similar fashion when copying. Probably has to do with the way Archicad is updating the teamwork functions behind the scenes.
The slow times I reported below are on a solo project on machines that do not have TeamWork set up. I do not believe that anything GS has done with TW should affect solo project... but who knows?

Thanks,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm on solo projects as well. I'm just guessing they way they worked on the backend to make teamwork work has introduced more overhead, complexity, or something of that nature that makes copying slowdown.

I started in AC 11 and it seemed like the responsiveness dropped off between 12 and 13 which happens to be around the time teamwork was being tweaked. 14 is worse than 13 and there was yet more teamwork changes.

And when I went through the new features list for AC13 & 14, I seem to remember thinking to myself that the only thing that looks like GS worked on that might affect the copy function would be teamwork features. Possibly because AC tracks the changes in a new way, or checks to see what permissions are given each time a part is selected, or...?

That's what makes me think it might be something to do with updating slowdown is related to teamwork, regardless of whether or not it's in a solo or shared project.

But this is only a guess and more than likely wrong.
Karl Ottenstein
As good a guess as any though!

I entered a tech support request and linked to this thread. Will report back if/when I hear anything.

Cheers,
Karl
anyari
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Thanks for reporting, Karl!

Unfortunately this problem appeared in build 3477. It is already in the bug database, we are investigating the issue.
Here is a workaround we found:
- Open File > Save as dialog, and choose Archive project (PLA)
- Options > uncheck "include linked textures" checkbox > click OK
- Cancel the dialog
Warning: If someone uses this workaround should be careful when he/she wants to save the file as PLA as it affects the PLA save settings evidently: the textures will not be saved in the output PLA file.

Best regards,
Attila Nyari
Technical Support Team
Graphisoft