BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC 15 Guides

drh64
Contributor
Is it possible to go back to the way guides worked in 14? I do not like the they way they have been changed in 15.
thx
9 REPLIES 9
Barry Kelly
No.
But persist with them - they really are better but they do take some getting used to.
What are you having trouble with?
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
drh64
Contributor
The simple things like drawing a line at 45 degrees from a starting point. What happened to that???? Drawing a line parallel with another line???
Anonymous
Not applicable
drh64 wrote:
The simple things like drawing a line at 45 degrees from a starting point. What happened to that???? Drawing a line parallel with another line???
The main change is the way the guidelines are activated (the orange dot). Everything else seems to work pretty much as always for me. Perhaps there was a change in your work environment?
sinceV6
Advocate
New guidelines are better, indeed. Like Barry said... give'em a few more tries, and read the documentation (or watch the videos). All previous functionality is there, and even more, but is now user activated and doesn't get in your way like previous ones.

Use the cursor to point other elements and click the orange dot. If you want on-the-fly guides from, let's say a node, after you start a drawing command (wall, line, polyline, etc), click-and-drag-away on any hotspot, it'll give you new guidelines based there.

Best regards.
Barry Kelly
drh64 wrote:
The simple things like drawing a line at 45 degrees from a starting point. What happened to that????
Make sure in your Work Environment under Guide Lines you have the incremental angle set to 45°.
Then it is exactly the same as before.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
drh64 wrote:
Drawing a line parallel with another line???
Start to draw your line (pick first point).
Then hover mouse over the edge you want to me parallel to and you will see an orange spot appear.
Click on that spot to activate the guide line.
Now you will have parallel and perpendicular guide lines to this default guide line just as before.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
If you want to activate a guide from a point after you have started to draw a line then do as per the attached image.

Barry.
guide_from_point.jpg
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
If you want to just start drawing a line from a known point at 45° (or whatever angle your incremental guide line angle is set to) then just hover your mouse over the point before you start to draw the line and press the keyboard shortcut for guide lines (`).
Then move the mouse around and choose the guide line you want.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Miha Nahtigal
Advocate
I have many problems with this too.

Mainly my ` character doesn't work. No matter weather I use US keyboard layout or country's default (Slovenian).

I've even created a new keyboard layout in which I replaced default functionality of upper left key to ` and ~ with shift pressed. I can input these two characters everywhere (in every edit box), but nothing happens when I press them while drawing (hovering over the point and/or trying to remove guide lines).
BIMquants.comBETA - Quantities and Costs Estimation with Archicad AddOn :: rushing to publish a beta preview
Learn and get certified!