Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC 17 - Cycle Selecting in Plan

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is anyone else having a problem cycling through overlapping plan items? I've just upgraded to AC 17, and I've lost my ability to cycle select.

I'm clicking in the same spot, and I used to be able to cycle through objects in the same place. Am I missing a setting?
8 REPLIES 8
Karl Ottenstein
Are you pressing the Tab key while holding your mouse (not clicking) until you see the element you want highlighted / shown in the pop-up, and THEN clicking?

Whenever the info pop-up shows 'multiple', just press the tab key until you get the thing that you want to select.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Karl,
Thanks for your input. Your instructions work.

Our office is upgrading from AC 14, and we've previously been able to continuously click through items in the same spot. Do you know if this feature is something that has been discontinued? Can we enable this in 17?
Karl Ottenstein
Sorry, yes the old method still works - but the magnetic selection has to be turned off. You can toggle the magnet (visible in the Info Box) by holding the spacebar - if it was on, it'll be temporarily off and vice versa. With magnetic selection off, it behaves the old way. Sorry - forgot that, as I've gotten used to using only the magnet and tab.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
My spacebar longer works to activate the magic wand or the magnet. I recently upgraded to a new MacBook Pro, downloaded a clean version of AC17 and opened an existing AC17 project with my previous work environment.

I have assigned the spacebar under keyboard short cuts to "Outline Polygon with Magic Wand" command in the design menu, and this does not work.

AC17 running on the old MacBook Pro with the same project open, the space bar operates as expected. I have exported the keyboard shortcuts from that work environment and imported them on my new machine, no dice.

I opened the Archicad Residential Template that comes with AC17 and the same problem exists.

The problem exists for the USB keyboard and the built in keyboard of the MacBook

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
cdeorsay:

I think the Magic Wand appears only if a polygonal type tool (Slab, Wall, etc) is selected on the Toolbox. Also, have you tried opening the Control Palette and using the Magic Wand button? Your signature shows OS 10.9, problems with this operating system have been discussed on the forum and there is an article on ArchicadWiki about its bugs with ArchiCAD.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
The control pallet does activate the magic wand as it should, however the spacebar will not activate the magic wand while in any polygonal tool.

This particular issue is not listed in the known issues with Mavericks on ArchicadWiki, I suspect it may be related. My older laptop is running Mavericks and does not have this issue.
Barry Kelly
Are you running any other software that maybe hijacking the keyboard shortcuts?
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
The problem has gone away! I have no explanation, the spacebar now works with polygonal tools and to activate the magic wand. Your thought on other software could be true, I will monitor that.