BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC 8.1 & windows/doors

TDabney
Enthusiast
Hi -

I just received my copy of 8.1 and am having some issues w/windows and doors. I'm working in a project started in 8.0v3 that has some windows and doors w/glass and divided lites. No matter what door style I choose (ie. glass, raised panel etc..) all that shows in 3D is a slab door. I'm having similar issues w/the windows. Is there a new checkbox somewhere that I'm missing? I've tried loading just the 8.0 lib., just the 8.1 lib., and both libraries - and still no joy. BTW here's a warning (something I should have thought about) 8.1 is not directly backward compatable w/8.0. You have to "save as 8.0 project". I did this and the doors and windows did work again though. (whew). Has anyone else had any issues similar to these?

Tom
TND Architects P.L.L.C.
macOS 12.7
2021 16" MacBook Pro
Apple M1 Max
ArchiCAD 26/27
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
I had that same issue with the 8.1 doors. I believe that the library for 8.1 still has issues and hopefully a patch is in the works. Care to comment Graphisoft?
Karl Ottenstein
I tested the windows and doors a little bit in 8.1 and didn't see this. Could you guys give an example - with a specific library part name?

Will take a look.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Djordje
Ace
Karl wrote:
I tested the windows and doors a little bit in 8.1 and didn't see this. Could you guys give an example - with a specific library part name?
... and screen shot ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
TDabney
Enthusiast
Here's a screen shot of what I'm talking about. The doors on the large gable end wall as well as to the left should be glass w/lites. The door settings (cmd + t) are correct but it doesn't show in 3D for some reason. The parts are D1 81 and D2 81 and/or D1 80 and D2 80.

Tom
TND Architects P.L.L.C.
macOS 12.7
2021 16" MacBook Pro
Apple M1 Max
ArchiCAD 26/27
Anonymous
Not applicable
TDabney wrote:
Hi -

I just received my copy of 8.1 and am having some issues w/windows and doors. I'm working in a project started in 8.0v3...

Tom
FYI - This is a quote from the "read me first" that came with the upgrade.

Warning!
We strongly recommend that you create Archives (.pla) of each project you worked on with older ArchiCAD versions.
Move a project onto ArchiCAD 8.1 only if you have archived it with the previous version. Keep copies of these archives in a safe place.

Libraries
Object libraries shipped with or created in ArchiCAD 8.1 will not work with ArchiCAD 7.0 or earlier and will be partly compatible with ArchiCAD 8.
New library parts are equipped with abilities older ArchiCAD versions cannot interpret. On the other hand, older libraries work fine with ArchiCAD 8.1 (unless they include GDL programming errors), but obviously they will lack the smart new features of the new library parts.
Again, before fully moving to ArchiCAD 8.1, make a copy of any libraries you have used so far. A library part opened and modified with ArchiCAD 8.1 will not be usable with the ArchiCAD versions previous to 8 and will be partly compatible with ArchiCAD 8 (library parts using new features implemented in 8.1 will not be compatible).
In ArchiCAD 8.1 you can load an Archive (.pla) file as a library. In this case the program will load this library file much faster than a traditional library folder without extracting the library parts stored in it to your hard disk. In this case, the library structure will reflect the original folder structure of the Archive when it was saved.
TDabney
Enthusiast
Richard wrote:
FYI - This is a quote from the "read me first" that came with the upgrade.
I suspected this was some sort of 8.0/8.1 conflict but it seems to run a little deeper. I've been trying different things like: deleting and replacing parts that aren't displaying porperly, deleting entire walls and starting from scratch replacing the windows and doors w/just 8.1 parts etc... I've had mixed results still. One wall, I totally replaced and popped in a new door - worked fine - until I did a solid element op. on it to trim to a roof above which made the door go to a solid slab. So I un-did the solid element op. and did just a trim to roof - which worked fine. At the moment things seem inconsistent - I'm sure there's a rhyme to the reason, but I don't have the time to keep messing w/all the different combos to figure it out.

Tom
TND Architects P.L.L.C.
macOS 12.7
2021 16" MacBook Pro
Apple M1 Max
ArchiCAD 26/27
aahatimo
Newcomer
Richard wrote:
TDabney wrote:
Hi -

I just received my copy of 8.1 and am having some issues w/windows and doors. I'm working in a project started in 8.0v3...

Tom
Warning!
Libraries
Object libraries shipped with or created in ArchiCAD 8.1 will not work with ArchiCAD 7.0 or earlier and will be partly compatible with ArchiCAD 8.

what does "partly" compatable mean? gs, any additional info regarding this vague readme note?
tia
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Objects created in 8.1 will work also in ArchiCAD 8, unless you use GDL commands that are new in 8.1. (Please refer to the “GDL enhancements” section of “Welcome to ArchiCAD 8.1” PDF regarding this topic). The ‘partly compatible’ expression refers to this limitation.

Tom, the issue with the door seems to be a bug, so please send your file to your local TechSupport.

More to library handling in ArchiACD 8 and 8.1: please read article by Ransom Ratcliff on ArchiGuide:
http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/archiguide/guid.html
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
aahatimo
Newcomer
gkmethy wrote:
More to library handling in ArchiACD 8 and 8.1: please read article by Ransom Ratcliff on ArchiGuide:
http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/archiguide/guid.html
gergely,
thanks for the response!
i have reviewed the archiguide link, and still am a bit confused. (what else is new... ) which of the 2 ways of dealing w/ the example situations; ac8.03 projects into 8.1 is recommended? is there a reason not to just load the 8.1 library if you have just used basic 8.03 parts?
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!