Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC on multiCPU PCs??

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

this is my first post and I would like to know if there will be an ACx version that will run and "USE" two or more CPUs on a windows Workstations.

I've very heavy models to work on... and so...multi CPU AC?

Thank you

PWD
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
PWD wrote:
I would like to know if there will be an ACx version that will run and "USE" two or more CPUs on a windows Workstations.
I think we never heard any word from GS about dual processor support... there have already been many posts about this subject on ac-talk (email version).

You can search on : http://www.escribe.com/software/archicadtalk/search.html?query=dual+processor
Karl Ottenstein
PWD wrote:
this is my first post and I would like to know if there will be an ACx version that will run and "USE" two or more CPUs on a windows Workstations.

I've very heavy models to work on... and so...multi CPU AC?
I don't know the answer, and agree that it is something that we must see in the future.

I was just wondering about a possibility yesterday for using a second CPU to more advantage since I finally tried Teamwork. I wonder if for a 'heavy' model as you have there might not be an advantage to using Teamwork with two ArchiCAD sessions open - with one session assigned sections/elevations.

The largest house model that I have is plenty fast on my 3GHz processor, so I can't really test the efficacy of this idea. But, if you have a huge model that takes a considerable amount of time from which to generate a live sun-shadowed, hatched elevation for example - then generating the elevation in one Teamwork session (and CPU) while you're working on the model in the floorplan/detail session (and CPU) might be of some use as a crude workaround? (Layer assignments between the two sessions is a big hassle for productive work since you can't move elements in the elevations/sections if the layers that those elements are one are assigned to the floorplan session.)

Just a weird thought.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:

I was just wondering about a possibility yesterday for using a second CPU to more advantage since I finally tried Teamwork. I wonder if for a 'heavy' model as you have there might not be an advantage to using Teamwork with two ArchiCAD sessions open - with one session assigned sections/elevations.

Excellent idea, but wouldn't it be more simple to use specific display option : one to annotate the section in "raw" mode without any shadows and hatching and one for "presentation" elevation, only used from plotmaker -> if you link directly to these views, PM launches a second AC session, and this one will use the 2nd processor...

It would be a good start without having to deal with teamwork workspace management...

Does anyone know if a thread / entire process can be assigned to a specific processor or do we have to rely on the OS to achieve this ?
Djordje
Ace
Geoffroy wrote:
Excellent idea, but wouldn't it be more simple to use specific display option : one to annotate the section in "raw" mode without any shadows and hatching and one for "presentation" elevation, only used from plotmaker -> if you link directly to these views, PM launches a second AC session, and this one will use the 2nd processor...
This is how I see it, besides TeamWorking; I usually do have both ArchiCAD (at least one ) and PlotMaker open; at the update time, the background ArchiCAD jumps in - so two processors are needed! With a couple of gigalons of RAM of course ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!