BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC11 - Boffo over cut plane setting, symbolic cut, etc.

Robert Nichols
Advocate
I'm trying to use the cut plane settings and projection mode tools and have gotten nowhere. These tools always looked a little underbaked to me. That's why I haven't messed with them for so long. Perhaps I'm thick, but I can't make sense of the GUI, nor can I figure out the thing by clicking around and reverse engineering the result. The manual is a non-starter. I've been using ArchiCAD forever and can do a LOT with it, so, inexperience is not the problem.

To be specific, I have a 9 foot high wall that has a 42" high empty door in it. Shouldn't I be able to use the multitude of settings that are available to produce a floor plan that shows the wall with the door opening, and a reflecting ceiling plan that shows the wall solid (i.e., no door cut, because it is so low in the wall)?

I had assumed setting the floor plan cut plane at 40", and the RCP cut plane at 50" would do the job, but it did not. I've been flicking around settings trying out various combinations of cut plane values, and projection settings and have not learned a thing. Sometimes the wall just disappears, and I can't figure the logic.

Does anyone know how to do this? Have these tools improved in AC12?

Thanks.
Mac Studio, 32gb ram, ArchiCAD v26 (Apple Silicon) MacOS 13
3 REPLIES 3
Robert Nichols
Advocate
Ok. I guess exposing myself by writing the above post was all it took to allow me to figure it out on my own. Now, my Plan and RCP look correct with the particular wall described above.

Can slabs also have their views controlled in this way? For example, can a slab that starts at 42" and extends upward to 9' be prevented from showing on floor plan if the floor plane cut is at 36"?
Mac Studio, 32gb ram, ArchiCAD v26 (Apple Silicon) MacOS 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you use a wall instead of a slab then you can control
it's visibility in plan by setting the elevation of the wall
to be above the FPCP.
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
You could also use a roof with zero pitch and set to "cut only".
Peter Devlin
Learn and get certified!