BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC14 quick layer selection problem

schagemann
Enthusiast
this may have been posted before, but i could not find it anywhere...

in AC13 we were able to quickly select a layer in the 'layer settings' window by typing the first couple of characters or numbers of a layers name.

in AC14 however, if you do start typing it will jump straight to a layers extension field and insert the typed characters, replacing any existing characters.

is this a new feature, new setting (that can be changed) or a bug?

ds.
macinteract
Design Technology Managers.
All  on macOS | since AC 6

Archicad Framework > Smart Template 27
Smart Tree, Transmittal and Universal Label and other smart GDL Objects
By Architects for Architects.
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Seems like a bug to me.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Are your layers sorted by extension? If so, perhaps sorting them by name may fix it?

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
Are your layers sorted by extension? If so, perhaps sorting them by name may fix it?

Cheers,
Link.
I don't think that's it. I tried typing in the list and after jumping to the first entry that started with the first letter I typed, it entered the extension field and put any additional characters there. (My layers were not sorted by extension.)
Barry Kelly
I have discovered it works fine when you first open the layer dialogue so long as you dont manually select any of the layers with the mouse.

If you do select a layer with the mouse then if you select on the name it will just start amending the name field.
If you happen to click on the name for the "Archicad layer" (which you can't change) then it will jump to the layer beginning with your first letter typed and will then amend the name of that layer with the rest of the characters you type.

The same happens if you click in the file extension field.

If you do manually select a layer with you mouse try to do it in the small space between the layer name and extention.
This will not enter the cursor into the text field and you will be able to type as many characters as you need.

Basically keep the cursor away from any of the text fields.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
I have discovered it works fine when you first open the layer dialogue so long as you dont manually select any of the layers with the mouse.

If you do select a layer with the mouse then if you select on the name it will just start amending the name field.
If you happen to click on the name for the "Archicad layer" (which you can't change) then it will jump to the layer beginning with your first letter typed and will then amend the name of that layer with the rest of the characters you type.

The same happens if you click in the file extension field.

If you do manually select a layer with you mouse try to do it in the small space between the layer name and extention.
This will not enter the cursor into the text field and you will be able to type as many characters as you need.

Basically keep the cursor away from any of the text fields.

Barry.
The same behavior occurs in AC11, so maybe it hasn't been changed in intermediate versions, unless it was changed in 13, then back for 14 (which is always possible - didn't they do something like that with MVO's?)
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I only suggested sorting by layer because ArchiCAD will jump down the column that is being sorted when a key is hit.

Works fine on AC14 Win here. Maybe it's a Mac thing?

Cheers,
Link.
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
This does seem to be a bug, but on Mac/ ArchiCAD 14 only. Logged.
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
Learn and get certified!