Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC14 "explore" bug with external monitor

R Muller
Enthusiast
The "explore" function does not work in 3D when the 3D window is displayed on a secondary monitor attached to my MacBook Pro. It did work in AC13.

I normally use an external monitor in dual-screen mode with my laptop. After some experimentation, I find that when I put the 3D window on my laptop screen instead of on the external monitor, the explore function works. When I move the same 3D window back to the external screen, the explore function doesn't work. If I set up the computer to use only the large external screen, with my laptop screen turned off, then the explore function does work on the large monitor screen. So it seems to be a problem of using two screens, rather than any problem with the external screen itself.

Here's a description of the problem: After clicking on explore, the cursor disappears, and the view of the model changes drastically (in one model I am looking straight down at the floor, in another the model disappears entirely so I am looking at white space). The preview shows the view angle changed to almost 180º. This happens with the internal engine as well as the Open GL.

I tried various changes in the work environment, including using the standard default AC14 environment, reverting to my previously saved AD13 work environment, etc. but nothing helped.

I assume this means that when I use a projector, I will need to use it in mirror mode as a work-around, rather than dual screen mode. (Normally I use the projector in dual screen mode when I am showing the model "live" to a client, so that I can keep all my toolbars and palettes on the laptop screen and the client will not see them. This also allows me to keep the image larger for the projection.)

My laptop is a 2.5 GHz MacBook Pro with 4GB of memory and 15" screen, in case this has any relevance. It is about 2 1/2 years old. I am using the up to date OSX 10.6.4.

I hope this is useful to others who will probablly encounter this problem.
R Muller
AC 26 USA (20+ years on ArchiCAD)
MBP 64GB Apple M1 Max OS 12.1 Monterey
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
I also am having this same issue with a second screen running off my macbook pro, hope this issue is resolved soon as it is becoming a bit frustrating
Anonymous
Not applicable
hello,

i'm having the same problem, as i started working on AC14 today:
AC14 + iMac + Snow Leopard + second monitor = no 3D view

is this problem already resolved by the tech support?

thnx
R Muller
Enthusiast
I am pleased to report that this bug was fixed with AC14 Hotfix 4 (build 3862).
R Muller
AC 26 USA (20+ years on ArchiCAD)
MBP 64GB Apple M1 Max OS 12.1 Monterey
PVBergkrantz
Expert
I am still experiencing this problem with AC22, have the latest drivers for my GPU and archicad is on the main screen, any ideas?
| AC 25 Int | Win10 | i7-7800X | 32 GB | GeForce RTX 2060 6GB |