Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC15 - Very, very slow --- Fixed

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just started using AC15 (Win 7 64 bit, 12G RAM). I opened a project that was done in AC14 (64bit) and I find that AC15 takes an extremely long time to open the project and even longer to change the stories (> 20 mins)

There is a lot of disk activity and the memory usage hits 99%.

The same project is ok on AC14.

I have read a lots of posts on issues with AC15 but no one else appears to have this issue. What am I doing wrong?
13 REPLIES 13
Barry Kelly
I don't have any solutions for you but try saving a copy of the file (i.e. with a new name - don't overwrite the original file) as a 15.
Then restart Archicad - or even better restart your machine - and then re-open the new 15 file to see if that is the same.

Do you have all your 15 add-ons loaded that you have in 14? - ie MEP.

Does this happen for other 14 files that you open or just this one?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your response Barry.

I did save the project as a new file, but I had also changed the libraries to AC15. I will try to save a copy again, but keep AC14 libraries.

All my addons, including MEP and Objective, are loaded.

I have not tried this on other files yet but I will.

S
Anonymous
Not applicable
I also noticed a big drop in performance when running numerous AC14 projects In AC15.
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK, after beating my head against the wall for about 12 hours, I did the following (I was waiting for abut 90 of those minutes for AC15 to change to another story):

1. Uninstall AC15 and all addons.
2. Exit Kapersky internet security suite.
3. Reinstall AC15, MEP15 and Objective
4. Loaded the PLN file that I had resaved with AC15 and changing libraries to AC15 and MEP15. It loaded under the Default Profile.
5. Everything worked fine I was able to change the stories and it WAS faster than AC14.
6. Now I loaded my profile and everything went to custard...same molasses like behavior.
7. Terminated AC15 and restarted the same plan using Default profile. EVERYTHING WORKED PERFECTLY.
8. So I started to duplicate my profile by enabling windows and palettes one by one.
9. The culprit is the NAVIGATOR PREVIEW PALETTE.
10. So I reloaded my profile and disabled this palette. I am a happy chappie now.

I will convey this to GS support. They have been proactive enough to contact me and offered to assist in troubleshooting and I appreciate their proactive stance.
Anonymous
Not applicable
mm i am facing problem of slowing in 32 bit system although my ram is 3gb for 32 bit should i back to archicad 14 the slow genereally in selection maybe archicad 15 cared about 64 bit more than 32 bit i am guessing i do not know for my case.
Karl Ottenstein
solitaire wrote:
10. So I reloaded my profile and disabled this palette. I am a happy chappie now.

I will convey this to GS support. They have been proactive enough to contact me and offered to assist in troubleshooting and I appreciate their proactive stance.
That's great that you found the problem and got the info to tech support. There have been numerous performance bugs over the years regarding the Nav Preview palette - whether it was visible or not, on a second monitor or not, etc. GS has cleared this up over and over, but apparently there is just something about that palette that bugs find very tasty. 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
My gut feeling is that 3 gigs ram isn't coping with each new release
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
solitaire wrote:
OK, after beating my head against the wall for about 12 hours, I did the following (I was waiting for abut 90 of those minutes for AC15 to change to another story):

1. Uninstall AC15 and all addons.
2. Exit Kapersky internet security suite.
3. Reinstall AC15, MEP15 and Objective
4. Loaded the PLN file that I had resaved with AC15 and changing libraries to AC15 and MEP15. It loaded under the Default Profile.
5. Everything worked fine I was able to change the stories and it WAS faster than AC14.
6. Now I loaded my profile and everything went to custard...same molasses like behavior.
7. Terminated AC15 and restarted the same plan using Default profile. EVERYTHING WORKED PERFECTLY.
8. So I started to duplicate my profile by enabling windows and palettes one by one.

Nice investigative work.
One question that may or may not be relevant:
In the Work Environment Dialog, do you have the "Save Navigator Preview Data with Project Files" checkbox checked in the More Options page?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
Nice investigative work.
One question that may or may not be relevant:
In the Work Environment Dialog, do you have the "Save Navigator Preview Data with Project Files" checkbox checked in the More Options page?
Yes, it is checked.

I do not miss the loss off the preview palette. For my project AC15 performance is noticably faster now, as compared to AC14.