Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC20 Minor annoyances

Overall, I like AC20 a lot! However, there are a couple of minor issues that make it very difficult to work.

1) We seem to have lost the 3D line/flat color library previews, and so now all 3D previews are rendered. This makes it very hard to see any detail in a 3D view if the object is white on the white background. Is there any way to get the old-style preview back?

2) I've noticed that sometimes 3D elements like morphs do not show up right away in the 2D view if they were drawn in 3D. Sometimes it takes drawing a similar element in plan, and then all the elements show up. This is probably a bug, but is there any way to overcome this in the meantime?
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
60 REPLIES 60
Eduardo Rolon
Barry wrote:
Stress wrote:
Quick Options Bar> Orientation

Much preferred the ability to reset to 0° with one click (AC19)
As opposed to opening a pulldown and scrolling to 0° (AC20)
The thing is the single click now gives us the option of pre-set angles and also the last user defined angles.
I think this is a good option but maybe it could be made so a double click will reset to zero.

Barry.
+01
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Barry wrote:
Stress wrote:
Quick Options Bar> Orientation
Much preferred the ability to reset to 0° with one click (AC19)
As opposed to opening a pulldown and scrolling to 0° (AC20)
The thing is the single click now gives us the option of pre-set angles and also the last user defined angles.
I think this is a good option but maybe it could be made so a double click will reset to zero.
I would like a similar behavior restored to the Zoom in the Quick Option Bar: double click to set Zoom to 100%. An alternative would be single click to set to 100% (AC19 and before), click and hold to get the pop-up list.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Stress Co_
Advisor
If I select an object, line, wall, etc. and use keyboard shortcuts to "drag a copy" (or "drag multiply copies").
The + sign(s) pop up briefly, then disappear.
You have to move the cursor to get them to reappear.

In previous versions, they stay.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
DGSketcher
Legend
Fully agree Marc. It gets really frustrating having to double check it. It's also annoying that duplicate mode clashes with using the ALT key to toggle pan/zoom but I think this predates AC20.

I also have an issue with the origin hiding when creating a new independent worksheets and details. I find I have to place/draw something in the view before I can get it to appear. Really annoying when you want to draw something coordinated with the origin.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Stress wrote:
If I select an object, line, wall, etc. and use keyboard shortcuts to "drag a copy" (or "drag multiply copies").
The + sign(s) pop up briefly, then disappear.
You have to move the cursor to get them to reappear.

In previous versions, they stay.
I am not seeing this issue. I don't know if still being on OSX10.10 is the difference.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Stress Co_
Advisor
DGSketcher wrote:
It's also annoying that duplicate mode clashes with using the ALT key to toggle pan/zoom
What kind of mouse are you using?
I've got my mac magic mouse set up to zoom in/out with center axis swipe and pan when I click-hold, move mouse.
I think it's the equivalent of rolling a mouse wheel or clicking a mouse wheel.
Eliminates pressing the ALT key.
DGSketcher wrote:
I also have an issue with the origin hiding when creating a new independent worksheets and details.
Does double clicking the "user origin" button in the coordinates bar palette bring it back? I've noticed this, but can't replicate it.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
DGSketcher
Legend
I'm using a MM with the default as pan, but either way pressing the ALT key disrupts the duplicate mode if you need to change the view using the ALT key. Seems a little bit of an oops by GS to have the same modifier key for different functions.

The origin hiding isn't consistent, just checked in a new drawing and it is working as expected. It may have something to do with scales or reference to the last created detail where the origin is off screen. I would have expected a new view to place the origin in the centre of the view.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Barry Kelly
I have noticed in older versions that when dragging with the mouse, if you press the CTRL key before you let go of the mouse button the CTRL (copy) will turn off.
If you drag and let go of the mouse button, then press CTRL all is fine.
In version 20 (for me) I can not replicate this - seems to work no matter what I do.

I am on PC with a rather basic wheel mouse.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
DennisG
Participant
I used to be able to select and mirror text labels (you know, the ones with arrow leaders pointing at things in the 2D drawings). The text box would flip to the other side of the leader arrow, with proper justification.

Since upgrading to 20, the leaders have become "sticky" - I can no longer mirror a note so that the leader comes from the opposite side. The leader stubbornly remains on the original side, while the note justification changes.

I've also had problems with the leader being glued to an object, so that if the object is moved, the note moves too - which is not always desired.

Is there a way to dial back the stickiness of the note/leader?

Thanks in advance, pardon the outdated signature.
Dennis Glynn AIA
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
ArchiCAD-64 23 3003 USA FULL
x64 Clone PC w/Intel(R) Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors
NVIDIA Quadro K620
16.00 GB RAM
Win 10 Pro x64 based PC
DennisG wrote:
I used to be able to select and mirror text labels (you know, the ones with arrow leaders pointing at things in the 2D drawings). The text box would flip to the other side of the leader arrow, with proper justification.

Since upgrading to 20, the leaders have become "sticky" - I can no longer mirror a note so that the leader comes from the opposite side. The leader stubbornly remains on the original side, while the note justification changes.

I've also had problems with the leader being glued to an object, so that if the object is moved, the note moves too - which is not always desired.

Is there a way to dial back the stickiness of the note/leader?

Thanks in advance, pardon the outdated signature.
Dennis,
You might try the "optimize position" checkbox in the label settings. For the "stickiness" issue, I suspect that you might have "associative" accidentally checked, rather than "independent." (Under "Geometry Methods.") Just a guess.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!