Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

AC23 - CRASH TO DESKTOP WHEN CHANGING SLANT ANGLE IN 3D FROM PET PALETTE

Anonymous
Not applicable
Changing slant angle in 3D from pet palette causes archicad 23 to crash to desktop. The problem only occurs if Reference Line Distance is set to number smaller than zero as shown in the attached image, and only through graphical editing via pet palette. The crash doesn't occur if the slant angle is edited using "ctrl+t" (Curtain Wall Selection Settings).

This problem can easily and consistently be reproduce with the simple step of creating curtain wall, change its reference line distance to any number smaller than zero, then try to edit its slant angle graphically using pet palette in 3D.

I've been drawing and using curtain wall with this setting without any problem since a couple of versions back.

If i change the Reference Line Distance to zero or any number larger than zero, draw the curtain wall, and then offset the Reference line distance manually either in floor plan or 3D, then - in my opinion - the whole workflow will become too cumbersome, especially if the building isn't just a simple "box" so this workaround isn't acceptable.

Can anyone confirm if this is in fact a bug? if it is, is there any fix yet?

thanks in advance
-John
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

The investigation went much quicker than I thought. It is indeed a bug, and we added a new entry into our system.

Once again, thank you for your contribution and effort to let us know about this issue!

I hope we will have it fixed soon!

I wish you a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
DGSketcher
Legend
I get the same result. You should advise your support channel if you haven't already done it.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your confirmation and input DGSketcher, i guess we won't upgrade to V23 yet until the problem is fixed, because this small problem affects everything curtain wall related and it's too important for our office, cheers mate
Barry Kelly
John wrote:
Thanks for your confirmation and input DGSketcher, i guess we won't upgrade to V23 yet until the problem is fixed, because this small problem affects everything curtain wall related and it's too important for our office, cheers mate

But have you reported this to your local Archicad support?
Please don't expect just because you have mentioned it here that it will be picked up by GS HQ.
It may do, but it is still always best to report it to your local support.
And if others feel this is an issue to, then also report it to your local support.
The more reports GS gets on the same issue, the more likely they are to look into it and the higher priority it will get to be fixed.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:

But have you reported this to your local Archicad support?..
Thank you for your support and kind reminder Barry, that's the first thing i did before i posted the original question.

In the meantime, i'm just curious whether other people stumble upon the same problem as i did or not, considering it's been a couple of months since the release, my initial thought was i must be missing something, but apparently that's not the case.

Last version (AC22) the trace and reference feature became unusable for creating mesh ridges, another vital part of my office workflow (AFAIK the problem still persist), luckily there's still an acceptable workaround for that issue so the transition to AC22 was made. With this curtain wall bug, we just can't figure out a workable solution yet, hopefully this post may help or provide others with useful information, cheers
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi John,

Thank you for reporting the crash, and I'm sorry about this experience.

I will have our Technical Support team take a look at this.
It seems to be a defect with the software though, but in the meantime, I have tested the problem myself, and somehow the issue does not happen to me (I'm using ARCHICAD 23 INT build 3003), as can be seen in the GIF below.

I'm wondering if there is any special settings that you made on the curtain wall? If it's possible, a PLA that can show the issue would be very helpful to push the investigation forward. Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Nguyen, thanks for your reply, it's nice to have a tech support here on this topic but i'm afraid you're confusing "rotating" with "changing slant angle" (those two are different)..

The one we're talking about here is when you try to change slant angle by clicking on the CW's top corner hotspot, and then there's the "change slant angle" option on pet palette, not rotate..

I was using default template that came out of the box, and i didn't change anything else other than the one i mentioned in the original post.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi John,

I am very sorry for the misunderstanding! With your description, I managed to replicate the issue in-house. I have informed my colleague, and we will start investigating it with the developers now. Thank you for spotting this issue, I believe this bug hasn't been discovered yet, so big thanks to your finding!

As soon as I have a conclusion I will let you know here. Once again, thank you for your contribution to the community!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh wow, that was a quick reply. It's ok Minh, hope you guys will be able to fix the issue in the near future, cheers
Solution
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

The investigation went much quicker than I thought. It is indeed a bug, and we added a new entry into our system.

Once again, thank you for your contribution and effort to let us know about this issue!

I hope we will have it fixed soon!

I wish you a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT