Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AI BIM. Can ArchiCAD be ready for that?

Podolsky
Ace
Hi there!

I have decided to start a separate thread about Artificial Intelligence in AEC. I hope here we will able to collect as much information as what happens today in the AI world, show examples of using AI in BIM programs and programs driven by AI, and discuss what architects and other AEC professionals would like to expect from it.

I have a very strong opinion, that these technologies will come to us very, very soon (because AI already exists in many things we are using every day - like search engines or digital photo applications) and this might be a very interesting subject to review.

Please find below a scheme I have prepared, showing how AI for BIM might look like.

Building elements (as we know tools in ArchiCAD) are controlled by placement algorithms, that coming from building classification databases). For example - placing partition walls in the office with the right chosen sound insulation, fire ratings, correct corridors lengths, fire escapes, etc.

I/O engine responsible for Input / Output - but in architectural terms - automatic drawings generation and publishing, remote communication, including communication via e-mails, teamwork, IFC exchange. It is something like a secretary-robot, that supervising the BIM project.

Language analyzer transforming languages into commands, understandable by the system (software). It can understand human language and communicate with him as a chatbot, it’s also can understand different languages - like Python, JavaScript, AutoLisp, etc. Even read IFC (because IFC is a script).

Physical simulations help to improve correct element placement. Simulations shall be 100% on physics (more like physical engines in 3D animation software). Includes loads, earthquakes, heat distribution and loss, fire spread, wind load, radiosity, and photon tracing, similar to Monte Carlo.

Additional block called construction simulations helps to represent the construction process, including delivery, animation of cranes and installation process, construction timeline, and similar.

Each building element has two additional layers - assembly (if it’s a wall, then it might be studs, cover, insulation, and brackets) and behavior. Behaviour is connected to both physical and construction simulations.
68 REPLIES 68
jl_lt
Ace
Bricklyne wrote:

This is an excellent post and response.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Any of it.
You've boiled down architecture and construction down to a "t".

Thank you for that.
Thanks Mr. Bricklyne, the question now is, how do we escape that cycle of utter madness?
jshuether
Enthusiast

Veras AI looks promising for studying multiple design options rapidly. Revit only (SketchUP and Rhino soon). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utRWVKot_es

https://www.evolvelab.io/veras

ArchiCAD 25

Windows 10
Hmooslechner
Rockstar

these days, i tried https://chat.openai.com/auth/login to get some code for GDL. It told me, its capable of GDL, but that was not right - it made code for something like phyton and pretendet it was GDL.  But it was interesting for me to chat with the AI-bot itself. The developer did not give the AI full Access to the In formation in the Internet, so i could not make it "learn" gdl from existing informations in the internet.  Then i tried to intend it to write a children-story about "Räuber Hotzenplotz" - a famos children story wit my own parameters. Its astonishing, what results it gave me back - really!  And - all in german!

When thinking in future - this will change the work-flow of an Architect in a way, we cant pretend really now.  Maybe, the only work left for a human will be to design the outer geometry and the room-function-list and what kind of building material should be used.. Who knows...   Is this the world we want? Do we have a choice?

Isaacs Asimovs rules for Robots should really be implemented in AI's and also in us - by the way.

Its not implemented yet - i asked for it, it knew it and told me that it wasnt.  And it suggested it to implement it...

AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia

Lets hope someone is using AI to build a better software rather than dishing out design solutions - it sure would be tragic if we never get to see the full potential of Computer Aided Design, instead jumping straight to Computer Driven/Generated Design.

What knows who? Or is it who knows what?

The problem with AI is that it decides the best but it can't predict what is the best for you. U less you give it parameters..... At this point.

I was wondering about this also, thanks for trying! I suspect it has everything to do with the volume and type of training data and seed data it can receive. When GPT4 is open to the internet - there may be greater possibilities. ....

Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro

True. The architects are in danger of reducing themselves to visual designers. Without the craftman's skills of building nor the programmers ability to automate. I think though that the ability of classicaly manually drawing is of no special importance. Sketching on the other hand...

Ingolf Sundfør, Bricklayer, Author of several Real Life Problem Solving Books for Archicaddicts in Norway.
PC/i7/W11/ArchiCAD 6.5-27