Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ARCHICAD equivalent of SketchUp component

Anonymous
Not applicable
In SketchUp, when you make a group of objects into a "Component", you can repeat that Component as many times as possible, and at any time, you can edit one of these Components and all of them will change accordingly (i.e. "Change one to change them all").

What would be the closest workflow in ARCHICAD to re-create this?
6 REPLIES 6
Eduardo Rolon
Read about Modules.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
My understanding of the Modules is you need to access it each time via the Hotlink Modules manager and manually update it each time (as opposed to having it update in real time). Is this correct?
Eduardo Rolon
Basically yes.
The procedure sounds more complicated than it really is since it tries to avoid destroying your CD's because of user error. You also have to take in consideration how you are going to coordinate story levels and if there are going to be mirrored options.

You could also same the object group as a library part and update/reload as necessary but then you would lose the individual items.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Depending on what it is you are repeating, there are also objects/library parts to consider. These will update instantly, however the 3D elements are no longer consider as wall, slab etc etc and won't behave in such a manner with regards to connections in the model or quantity take off.

ArchiCAD21 'feels' a bit slow with modules, whereas ArchiCAD22 has sped up a bit again. But you are correct that after changing the module you have to update them to reflect changes. In place editing is also a bit cumbersome.

For 'larger' modules, we have reserved space in our model that we exclude from quantity take off where we can edit the elements, select them and save the module file. No need to break module and save it again or edit it in seperate file. However each workflow has it pros and cons and different situations will merit one or the other.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
ejrolon wrote:
Basically yes.
The procedure sounds more complicated than it really is since it tries to avoid destroying your CD's because of user error. You also have to take in consideration how you are going to coordinate story levels and if there are going to be mirrored options.

You could also same the object group as a library part and update/reload as necessary but then you would lose the individual items.
Thanks ejrolon, I'll have a go.
Forgive my ignorance, what's CDs? (CDs to me is Construction Documentation)
Eduardo Rolon
Cortect on CDs being construction documents
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator